Virtual Machine Error / Help

StarTrek133

Contributor
Hi Everyone,

I am new to TrueNas and Linux .. I am trying to create a windows 11 vm in Scale .. I followed all the steps I saw other people do on some Youtube videos and no matter what I do .. I keep getting the following error when I try to start it .. So not sure what I am doing wrong ..

Error: Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 176, in call_method result = await self.middleware._call(message['method'], serviceobj, methodobj, params, app=self) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1293, in _call return await methodobj(*prepared_call.args) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1272, in nf return await func(*args, **kwargs) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1140, in nf res = await f(*args, **kwargs) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm/vm_lifecycle.py", line 39, in start await self.middleware.run_in_thread(self._start, vm['name']) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1208, in run_in_thread return await self.run_in_executor(self.thread_pool_executor, method, *args, **kwargs) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1205, in run_in_executor return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs)) File "/usr/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 52, in run result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm/vm_supervisor.py", line 62, in _start self.vms[vm_name].start(vm_data=self._vm_from_name(vm_name)) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm/supervisor/supervisor_base.py", line 138, in start raise CallError( middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] VM will not start as DISK Device: /dev/zvol/Virtual Machines/Win11/StarMedia-6lksui device(s) are not available.

Thoughts ?

indivision

Guru
VM will not start as DISK Device: /dev/zvol/Virtual Machines/Win11/StarMedia-6lksui device(s) are not available.

What are the circumstances behind trying to use this path? If you didn't figure out how to set up SMB, how did you get a VM image onto the machine?

StarTrek133

Contributor

ChrisRJ

Wizard

indivision

Guru

indivision

Guru

StarTrek133

Contributor
I know the video is for Core .. but its very hard to find videos on Scale .. So as the process seemed the same I just followed it in the hopes it would work ..

The only thing I changed was in the video he uses the VirtIO settings and I left mine as the defaults .. I did try it both ways and still got the same error ..

here is the settings for the VM and the Pool .. I hope it helps ..

Was trying to Install windows 11 ..

Hope that helps ..

Attachments

• VM Pool.jpg
    VM Pool.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 106
  • VM Settings.jpg
    VM Settings.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 101

indivision

Guru
The only thing I changed was in the video

Try it without changing anything from the video (using VirtIO as he suggests and installing the same Ubuntu image he does).

You need a working base to start from. There might be additional requirements involved with the changes you made.