SOLVED VM doesn't boot till I VNC to it

Caleb Surface

Dabbler
Hi, all! I couldn't find another thread discussing this so here it goes!

I successfully created a Windows 10 VM that runs fantastic! The only problem is that everytime it needs to boot, I have to connect to it via VNC first. The autostart option is checked, so it shouldn't be that. Any thoughts?

chris crude

Patron
Hi, all! I couldn't find another thread discussing this so here it goes!

I successfully created a Windows 10 VM that runs fantastic! The only problem is that everytime it needs to boot, I have to connect to it via VNC first. The autostart option is checked, so it shouldn't be that. Any thoughts?
There is a checkbox "wait to boot" on the screen where you setup the VNC device.

chris crude

Patron
You are welcome.
Now that win10 is running, if you have any stability issues, changing your FreeNAS NIC driver from Intel to VirtIO and installing the VirtIO driver inside the VM clears this up for most people.

cheetoX

Cadet
The wording on the description is confusing:
"Set for the VNC client to wait until the VM has booted before attempting the connection."

It sounds like the VNC client won't start until the VM has booted, but according to the comments above, it is the VM that is waiting until the VNC client is started.

ClassicGOD

Contributor
Moth******er! :D I spent few hours yesterday trying all virtual frame buffers and grub configurations to figure out why my Lubuntu is not booting without the VNC connected. The description of this checkbox had me completely fooled.

jlficken

Cadet
That got me too.

Thanks to those that posted the solution!!!

I am new to FreeNAS and there is a bit of a learning curve.

Frikkn

Cadet
No matter if the checkbox is ticked or not for me, VMs do not start until I VNC into it.

raidflex

Guru
No matter if the checkbox is ticked or not for me, VMs do not start until I VNC into it.

I deleted the VNC interface after I setup an Ubuntu Server instance, I just SSH in anyways. This will also save about 5-10% CPU usage, for some reason the VNC interface uses unnecessary resources even when nothing is connected to the VM.

Andy C

Explorer

This checkbox seems to have disappeared in FreeNAS-11.2-RELEASE-U1. Is the workaround to simply delete the VNC device ?

adam_0

Cadet
This checkbox seems to have disappeared in FreeNAS-11.2-RELEASE-U1. Is the workaround to simply delete the VNC device ?

In FreeNAS-11.2-RELEASE-U1, I didn't set up the VNC device at all, but I was able to edit it. Virtual Machines -> Select "Edit" from the dropdown -> Edit the VNC device -> select "Wait to boot".

Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 7.32.47 PM.png

rliver73

Cadet

You may have fixed this in the meantime but i had the same problem. I fixed this by 1st making sure the VMs were stopped. I deleted off the the VNC and then added them again, just binding the port and put the boot order at the end.

KevDog

Patron
The layout and how to change this is definitely NOT USER INTUITIVE. I'm currently on 11.2-U6. Here is how to get to the menu that adam_posted (#12). Using the New FreeNAS GUI (Not Legacy) -- Select Virtual Machines in the Left Hand drop down column. In the right hand column you'll be presented with a list of your VMs (assuming you have some). On the line listing your virtual machine -> Go to the far right and select the 3 dots and select Devices. You'll be presented with items such as NIC, DISK, CDROM, and VNC. Click on the 3 dots on the VNC interface and you'll be presented with the menu such as on post #12. Deselect Wait to boot.

I'll only rant because this option shouldn't be buried this far down within the submenu. Hopefully this helps someone.

fahadshery

Contributor
Is there a way I could change (uncheck this option) on the running VMs?
I checked it and it wont boot up until I connect to VNC. I can't see any option in the GUI where I could uncheck this option

sretalla