VirtualBox Console Access (from browser)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yatti420

Wizard
Hi Everybody,

Just started testing out virtualbox from the jail template.. Launced my ubuntu live cd and everything seems ok so far.. I was wondering about virtualbox console access from web browser.. I just get the following error..

Error: Access Denied ("java net socket permission" "localip:9000" "connect:resolve"

So it looks like a permission error.. Am I missing something.. I've read over the initial vitualbox thread by CJ.. I've yet to setup bridge mode was just looking to get this working initially as it appears this will be an issue for most with a standard setup..

Thanks,

vboxconsole.png

D

dlavigne

Let's try this again. Clicking the "Console" button gives an error? If so, sounds like a bug that should be reported at bugs.freenas.org.

Yatti420

Wizard
I believe it's some sort of permission issue with regards to Windows + Java + Virtualbox (Virtualbox jail template)..

This isn't related to FreeNAS console..

I just tried from my Ubuntu box using ice tea and vbox console does work.. I really don't wanna have to use VNC which is how I access previously..

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Java has a bunch of new security settings for self-signed and unsigned applications. You might have to add an exception to get it to run properly.

Yatti420

Wizard
I'm gonna give it another shot.. it's definately going to need an exception added somewhere..

Yatti420

Wizard
I moved to using tightvnc.. Something with new security (java) policies I believe..

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Whattteva

Wizard
I have the same problem, too. First, it complains about needing either certificate or needing the hostname to be added as a security exemption.
Once I've done that, it no longer prompts me for the exemption, but it still fails with the same access denied socket exception.
Using VNC works as expected.

Dabbler
I got the exact same problem. Is there a way to solve the problem? I don't get response from the virtualbox forum sadly.

loki_racer

Dabbler
Just throwing this out there. I ran into the same issues mentioned above. I tried fixing Java's permissions, etc, but had the same results. I used RealVNC to connect to the virtual machine with no issues.

I'll follow this thread in case anyone wants me to test something, maybe a fix of some kind.

Gonzalo

Patron
I found the solution!

Two changes needed on the client:

1) Add an exception on Java settings with the IP from the Jail.
2) Add permission java.net.SocketPermission "<Jail IP>:9000", "connect, resolve"; inside java.policy. In my case, the file path was: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_25\lib\security\.

Update: The file path for Ubuntu 14.10 is: /etc/java-7-openjdk/security/.

Let me know if you find a better approach.

Last edited:

Yatti420

Wizard
Excellent Gonzalo.. Thanks!

Philip Robar

Contributor
I'm having the same issues. Does anyone know of a solution for a Mac?

The directions given by Gonzalo earlier in this thread worked for me on OS X 10.10.

The java.policy file is located here:

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/lib/security/​

You'll have to jump through some hoops if you want to modify this file via the GUI. See this link for details:

If you're comfortable with the command line just use sudo and vi.

It turns out that Apple ships a good basic VNC client with OS X, the Screen Sharing application. You'll have to track in down in /System/Library/CoreServices/Applications. Here's a review by someone who was unhappy with Chicken of the VNC and JollysFastVNC:

Instead of VNC though I'd suggest that you try Microsoft's Remote Desktop for Mac OS X (free) or some other RDP client such as CoRD (free) or Royal TS ($36, but it supports multiple protocols and platforms).

Last edited:

icsy7867

Contributor
I found the solution!

Two changes needed on the client:

1) Add an exception on Java settings with the IP from the Jail.
2) Add permission java.net.SocketPermission "<Jail IP>:9000", "connect, resolve"; inside java.policy. In my case, the file path was: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_25\lib\security\.

Update: The file path for Ubuntu 14.10 is: /etc/java-7-openjdk/security/.

Let me know if you find a better approach.

This worked for me as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.