Virtual Machines & Bridges, A Networking Question.

panzerscope

Contributor
Hello all,

I am currently running 3 Windows VM's on my TrueNas Scale. These VM's needed access to the shares on TrueNas, by default this did not work and I had to set up a bridge connection and this worked like a charm. This prior bridge connection was on the same subnet as my TrueNas/Shares. Subnet 192.168.1.0

Recently with a revision of my TrueNas networking, I have an adapter already using the subnet of 192.168.1.0. So any bridge that I create, inherently cannot be a part of that Subnet. So for example I have put the bridge on the subnet of 192.168.2.0. I also created a static route so everything on 192.168.2.0 was pointed to my Gateway 192.168.1.1.

However when launching the Windows VM, they fail to see the 192.168.1.0 network as they cannot mount the network shares. Screenshot of my config below.

1673941848004.png

I am doing something wrong evidently and wondered if any one can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!
P

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I think you really need to read and understand this:

From the screenshot, you have 3 interfaces all on the same subnet.

panzerscope

Contributor
I think you really need to read and understand this:

From the screenshot, you have 3 interfaces all on the same subnet.

Perhaps I misunderstood it.

However my configuration is that I have 1 interface (ENS6F0) with 2x Alias IP's on the same subnet. The other active interface (ENS6F1) is on the same subnet but that is because it is on DHCP and my firewall assigns that interface with a static IP.

I had read that article before. After reading it again, perhaps it is better to go with LAGG/LACP. From that article it seems that I can combine the network interfaces and still have Alias IP's. Did I understand that correctly ?

I currently have 2x 10Gbe network interfaces which are the the ones I would opt to use.

Thanks,
P

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I had read that article before. After reading it again, perhaps it is better to go with LAGG/LACP. From that article it seems that I can combine the network interfaces and still have Alias IP's. Did I understand that correctly ?
Yes, that's exactly the point... all interfaces you're connecting to the same subnet should be aggregated and aliases used to have more than one address on that subnet.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Just to help with that:

Physical NICs -> LAGG -> VLAN (if you have them) -> Bridge (IP of host goes here if this is the primary connection for the NAS) ... then add aliases if wanted/needed.

panzerscope

Contributor
Just to help with that:

Physical NICs -> LAGG -> VLAN (if you have them) -> Bridge (IP of host goes here if this is the primary connection for the NAS) ... then add aliases if wanted/needed.

Thanks for that. I do not use VLAN, so less complication there.

Physical NICs -> LAGG -> Bridge

So I assume then I would combine my 2x 10Gbe NICs in LAGG and then add Bridge second ? Just making sure I have it all correct before I go back and start messing around.

I had better configure my switch for LAGG as well!

sretalla