Help With Networking Config (Splitting NAS GUI & Apps)

panzerscope

Contributor
Hello all.

Currently running TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.4

This is what will be considered basic networking, but I have frazzled my brain and need assistance. TrueNas from what I read follows "Proper networking", in the sense that you cannot have multiple NICs on the same subnet. Previously with other networking tasks, I have had multiple NIC's on the same subnet which was nice and easy, so now I am in unknown territory.

The short of it is I would like to accomplish the following:

1. Bind my TrueNas GUI to its own IP
2. Bind my Apps using its own IP

My current setup as per the snapshot below is:

NIC ens6f1 - IP: 192.168.1.10 (DHCP with IP set as Static on my PfSense Firewall). This is the IP I use to reach my NAS GUI as well as for any port forwarding.
NIC br1 - IP: 192.168.1.154 (This is setup as a bridge from ens6f1). This IP I have my virtual machines bound to.

1673877362304.png

My questions are:

1. If I setup another NIC with an arbitrary alias IP using a different subnet to that of 192.168.1.0 for my Apps (such as or 192.168.0.0), how can I ensure that apps using that IP can send its traffic to the 192.168.1.0 subnet ?

2. When I go to bind my NAS GUI to my 192.168.1.10 IP address, it does not show on the drop down list ? It is a configured IP on my network page, but is it the case I cannot set it because it is DHCP and not a static alias ?

1673877675235.png

Ideally I would like to keep the NAS GUI IP and Apps IP and my VM's on the same subnet, but not sure that is at all possible ? Networking/TrueNas Guru's please come to my rescue lol.

Thanks,
P

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Maybe have a think about this one first...

danb35

Hall of Famer
Keep it with one interface. If you feel the need to include more than one physical interface (and you have a managed switch that supports it), aggregate them, which creates a single logical interface. Then assign both IPs as aliases on that one interface. Set the UI to listen on the first IP, set the apps Node IP to the other.

panzerscope

Contributor
Maybe have a think about this one first...

Thank you for the read. Very informative.

Ok, so I have gone back and started again with my network config and using Alias setup on a single NIC.

So right now I have 2 IP Alias's on my NIC

192.168.1.100 - Now my GUI IP
192.168.1.101 - Now my Apps Node IP

Seemingly my VM's also no longer require a Bridge to access my shares now either, this is likely due to a properly revised setup.

Originally I had all my port forwarding services setup to the DHCP address of my NAS (192.168.1.10), This still exists obviously. However now that my GUI is on 192.168.100, I assume I will just change my port forward in my Pfsense to the new IP ? Does that work with Alias ?

danb35

Hall of Famer
I assume I will just change my port forward in my Pfsense to the new IP ?
Since you should never expose the GUI to the public Internet, I'd think you'd want to forward whatever ports you need (likely 80 and 443) to the apps alias.

panzerscope

Contributor
Since you should never expose the GUI to the public Internet, I'd think you'd want to forward whatever ports you need (likely 80 and 443) to the apps alias.

I was going to add an auth page in front of the NAS GUI page on the open internet, is that still not enough? Just wondering on your thoughts on that.

Personal opinion it's fine I use the same thing with cloudflare app tunnel where you must give a specific email adress which then gives a otp to access.

I have a similar question I two have 2 netowrk ports. My primary port is 192.168.1.10 (gui) & 192.168..1.20 alias on same port for kubernetes. on this I run traefik, ports 80 & 443. Does any one know hoe to setup the sencond port with a different alias for use with kubernetes such that both primary port & secondary port can use ports 443 & 80. Obviously bot ports need access to the gatewy for internet access this is where I get stuck. As a different subnet susch as 192.168.1.20 would mean the gaetway wouldn't work
TIA to any & all who can help