Virtual machine trying to get an old HP Ultra320 SCSI HBA to work for my MSL2024 tape unit

DonZalmrol

Dabbler
Hi,

I'm trying to get a VM on my Truenas (TrueNAS-12.0-U5.1) to work with an HP Ultra320 SCSI HBA which is actually an LSI 1030-IT.

What I have working:
  1. The SCSI HBA is recognized in my BIOS of my motherboard and it list the card, tape unit and drive.
  2. Truenas bhyve is set up correctly to enable pci passthrough.
  3. My VM (Windows Server 2019 with Veeam) sees the controller in the hardware devices list.
  4. When I install the MSL2024 drivers it "sees" the tape library and tape drive.
  5. PS: I have a passed-through USB xhci controller for my RDX disk and this works flawless.
What doesn't work: I cannot install the driver for the LSI 1030-IT (nor original HP Ultra320 driver) without having the server crash.
If I do get it to work finally, the controller throws a "Windows device cannot start code 10".

I need the driver/ card to work in order to access the MSL2024 through my Veeam.

I know its old hardware, if need be I can perhaps change the Ultra320 to a different scsi controller, question then is: which one can I use?

Thanks!

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
What doesn't work: I cannot install the driver for the LSI 1030-IT (nor original HP Ultra320 driver) without having the server crash.
If I do get it to work finally, the controller throws a "Windows device cannot start code 10".

I suspect you're running into a bhyve bug like what's mentioned in this thread, where there's a bad interaction with one of several VTds on your CPU.

DonZalmrol

Dabbler
Could very well be the case, how/ where can I change the vtd.c. file to try this?

Samuel Tai

It's not in the TrueNAS install; this is in the source code for bhyve.

DonZalmrol

Dabbler
ah, I see and where can I find/ edit the bhyve settings? Or is this not possible from within Truenas (shell)?

Samuel Tai

They're stored in the TrueNAS configuration database, and can only be changed from the GUI or from the API. However, this also won't help you. bhyve is still very immature as a hypervisor, compared to more established competitors like ProxMox or vmWare. You'll need to host your Veeam VM and this card somewhere else.

Last edited: