VFX Build Advice: 2-way Mirror setup

arvinkx

Cadet
Hi- I am in the process of building my first ZFS NAS build and am looking to make sure what I have planned couldn't be done in a more efficient way. The NAS is to serve a VFX studio comprised of 3 - 4 workstations and a render farm consisting of 2 - 3 nodes. We mainly work with 4K content for video editing and generate CGI cache files that are about 20MB per frame of video.

The current setup is a QNAP 4-bay that reaches about 600MB/s read (with an SSD cache) and 150 MB/s write that contains 4 - 4TB WD Red Pros. Our studio's goal is performance and resiliency can be traded off as we plan to have another NAS to backup to (hopefully that doesn't sound crazy). The new build will consist of:

-Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2 processors
-64GB DDR3 RAM
-8 - 4TB WD Red Pro drives using an LSI 9200 HBA
-10g dual port network card.

My question is regarding setting up mirrored vdevs, with the 8 drives, would it be better to do 4 x 2 or 2 x 4? We had planned to do 2-way mirrors as from the research I've done, I believe this is the best setup for our needs but since this is my first build I wanted to get any advice anyone else has.

The other question I have is regarding the NAS for backup, if I understand correctly, I don't want the storage on the main NAS to become full as that will have a negative effect on performance, so essentially I should be moving files into our archive once the pool starts to get filled, will the backup NAS be fine with having half the total storage as the main NAS with the idea that the main pool would never be filled over 50%? Or does the backup NAS need to have the same amount of storage as the main NAS to be able to be backed up to?

I've done my best to include all the pertinent information but if I missed anything please let me know. Thanks for any help on this.