Very Stupid "FTP-Server for Dummies" Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moppen

Dabbler
Hi everybody,

I have a very stupid question. I want to setup a FTP-Server for my Buddies, so they can acces my Media-Stuff. Read-Only.

I am doing this right now with a Virtualbox which is running Windows with Filezilla Server. With Filezilla I created a directory c:\ftphome which is the home-directory for that group of Users and in there I created some aliases point to the (UNC-)Paths like Tv Shows, Movies, Music and so on.

Can I do something like that with the built-in FTP in Freenas so i do not need to virtualize a whole Windows-System just for 5 ppl who download some stuff from time to time?

Any Idea or directions for me?

Thanks in advance.

-stefan

snaptec

Guru
Sure!
Did you read the docs?
Everything described there

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Moppen

Dabbler
ersonal attacks in response to a polite
Mod note:

I have cut out this message, as it is effectively a personal attack that comes out of the blue.

The warning at the top of this message should read "Blatant personal attacks in response to a polite answer will not be tolerated"

If you do not think your question was answered, I recommend the following:
  • For the future, improve the wording of your questions to make them clearer (in particular what you have and have not consulted or done)
  • Engage the members who have tried to help in civilized conversation and explain what doubts you still have and why their answer was not helpful
  • Do not attack other members because they misinterpreted your question
- Ericloewe
/Mod note

The original message only has the following information that is of any relevance:

I have read the docs, sure, but i didn't find there the answer to my question

Last edited by a moderator:

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Well, what you're asking for is the reason FTP exists. Not sure what your question is. Yes. FTP is designed to share files, over a very insecure protocol...

You should look at Plex instead. FTP is a HORRIBLE idea.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Sounds like he wants to share the actual files.

BTSync might me more what you are looking for.

And just a little unsolicited advice here, you might want to be a bit more cordial if your asking people for help and actually expect people to reply.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Can I do something like that with the built-in FTP in Freenas so i do not need to virtualize a whole Windows-System just for 5 ppl who download some stuff from time to time?
Yes.
Anyone, serious, else? (I have read the docs, sure, but i didn't find there the answer to my question)
You looked at both the User section and the FTP section right?

And easy on the snarky sarcasm until you get established a bit.

pasiz

Explorer
Set permissions, to ensure read only. Use ftp service provided. Or use cloned dataset.

I did not understand what is the main problem, and why using ftp?. Have you looked the owncloud?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty

snaptec

Guru
So you want a step by step Guide made by someone other?
It make more Sense to read the docs, understand what you have read and configure it.
But hey...
Just enable plain anonymous ftp directing to your dataset and make a Port forward on your Router.

Sorry for that^^

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Magius

Explorer
There's probably little value to be gained by bumping this thread, the pointers to the relevant documentation have been provided, but I felt like jumping in and saying that maybe instead of answering directly what Stefan asked for (help getting FTP working) we should emphasize better ways to accomplish his goal? I'm sure we've all been there and "asked the wrong question" for what we really needed to accomplish...

I do see some such discourse above, for example pirateghost pointed out that FTP is horrible and insecure. Frankly I couldn't have chosen two more appropriate words. Nobody should use FTP for anything public-facing IMHO. BTSync and Plex were mentioned as possible alternatives, and I think we should build on those ideas to help the OP find a solution that works for him.

For one, if the FTP usage-model is exactly what his friends need, meaning literally puts and gets on files (why?), then shouldn't we encourage him to use SFTP instead? I'm sure he's already running the SSH service on the FN server, so it should be as simple as exposing the service through his firewall, and of course ensuring it's adequately secured. Not that public-facing SSH is the smartest thing in the world, but if configured with digital certificates instead of brute-forceable passwords, I'd wager it's far safer than an open FTP server...

If literal FTP usage-model isn't required, it opens up a plethora of options. A friend of mine and I used to use a (Windows) peer-to-peer program where we exchanged digital certificates with each other and then shared access to certain directories on our PCs across the country. My shared directory just happened to be a CIFS mount off my Ubuntu server, so Stefan could use something similar to share his FreeNAS datasets securely with friends. The nice thing is that it all looks like local files, drap & drop, etc. As a completely different approach, his friends could tunnel into his LAN and mount shares off the server directly (or run FTP from INSIDE the firewall), no special applications required. There are near-infinite programs and protocols available to accomplish simple file transfers!

So to sum up for the OP, FTP may stand for "File Transfer Protocol", but in the real world, it is quite possibly the absolute worst possible way to "transfer files". If you absolutely must run FTP and only FTP for your friends, then my recommendation is that you're already doing it the "best" possible way, by spinning up a VM to be the FTP server and mounting FN shares read-only. This way when the FTP server gets compromised, the attacker only owns your VM, which you can restore from clean snapshot, and their prize is read-only access to whatever files FN shared, no major harm. If you run the FTP server on FreeNAS itself, all bets are off once it's compromised...

Moppen

Dabbler
You should look at Plex instead. FTP is a HORRIBLE idea.
I am sorry, maybe my way to use the Internet is a little bit outdated. I thought that FTP is the first choice if you want to Tranfer Files.

Plex? You mean like in "Plex Media Server" Plex? How can I use Plex for others to trangfers files? (I am already using Plex)

Moppen

Dabbler
You looked at both the User section and the FTP section right?
Yeah, with this i could do a ftp-usage on the "system" level ... so that the user xyz can use ftp and be logged in via terminal.

I read in other replies of this threrad that "accidently" I chose a clever way by virtualising a system and setting up a ftp-server there. I think I will go then with this way, even if I "burn" some systemresorces more by that.

Moppen

Dabbler
Just enable plain anonymous ftp directing to your dataset and make a Port forward on your Router.
You are right. Why struggle with all this fancy user-rights and permission and other rocket-science stuff? I wanted to let some buddies download from my server, which works with your howto very neat and easy. Two thumbs up. Maybe the devs want to add your howto to the official Docs...

;-)

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You are right. Why struggle with all this fancy user-rights and permission and other rocket-science stuff? I wanted to let some buddies download from my server, which works with your howto very neat and easy. Two thumbs up. Maybe the devs want to add your howto to the official Docs...

;-)

Uh. You realize this opens up your data to ANYONE who wants it right?

There's a reason that's not in the documentation. Because it is irresponsible to do so.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I am sorry, maybe my way to use the Internet is a little bit outdated. I thought that FTP is the first choice if you want to Tranfer Files.

Plex? You mean like in "Plex Media Server" Plex? How can I use Plex for others to trangfers files? (I am already using Plex)
If your friends are using Plex, they can 'sync' their devices and it will download your files locally on their devices for them to view. Or, if all they need is the media, then just adding their Plex account as a friend is enough to stream from your Plex server.

If you mean other files, you should look at own cloud or something similar. Maybe even WebDAV...

FTP is the worst way you can transfer files....

Status
Not open for further replies.