FTP setup queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Richardson

Explorer
Hi guys,

Ok so at the moment i FTP (Filezilla Server) setup on my DC (Windows Server) which i want to move, so i thought I'll put it on the Freenas server I've just installed.

Followed some instructions and seems to be working OK internally on the main FTP dataset (set a Windows Share for the FTP dataset). I just need to change setting in our firewall so uses the External IP address for the freenas server instead of the DC, then it should work externally.

On Filezilla, I can simply create a folder in the FTP area, then create an accounts and attach the folder I created with the FTP share, so external people can access but also be restricted to certain folders I've assigned to certain accounts. I have multiple folders with accounts for each.

On Freenas, do i create an account and create a folder like in the Filezilla and the select the required folder created within the FTP share itself (Dataset) or do I have to create a NEW "Dataset" within the FTP Dataset every time i want to create another folder for a separate FTP logon?

Basically do i set it up the same way and I would like to keep the permissions for the Windows share on the folders, I've attached some screenshots.

Thanks
James

Attachments

• FTP.JPG
    FTP.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 295
  • Test user 1.JPG
    Test user 1.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 280
  • Test user 1_2.JPG
    Test user 1_2.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 272

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Hi guys,

Ok so at the moment i FTP (Filezilla Server) setup on my DC (Windows Server) which i want to move, so i thought I'll put it on the Freenas server I've just installed.

Followed some instructions and seems to be working OK internally on the main FTP dataset (set a Windows Share for the FTP dataset). I just need to change setting in our firewall so uses the External IP address for the freenas server instead of the DC, then it should work externally.

On Filezilla, I can simply create a folder in the FTP area, then create an accounts and attach the folder I created with the FTP share, so external people can access but also be restricted to certain folders I've assigned to certain accounts. I have multiple folders with accounts for each.

On Freenas, do i create an account and create a folder like in the Filezilla and the select the required folder created within the FTP share itself (Dataset) or do I have to create a NEW "Dataset" within the FTP Dataset every time i want to create another folder for a separate FTP logon?

Basically do i set it up the same way and I would like to keep the permissions for the Windows share on the folders, I've attached some screenshots.

Thanks
James
Same way is probably fine.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

James Richardson

Explorer
It was working and now it's not hahaha.

I managed to get it to work with "filezilla" and "WinSCP" and now it's stopped. I tried starting again from scratch but that's not helped either.

I just want to create a Dataset which then appeared in the FTP area (Windows Share) and set it as an FTP site, I followed this guide and it worked but i couldn't copy any files as an domain "non-administrator" into the directory because of permissions. I could do with with windows/domain permissions for employees to add files to the folders created and then FTP to them.

http://thesolving.com/server-room/how-to-configure-a-ftp-server-on-freenas/

Thanks
James

James Richardson

Explorer
Forgot this screenshot telling me "Access Denied" when putting the password in through WinSCP FTP software, the password is right and triple checked it.

Attachments

• FTP denied.JPG
    FTP denied.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 265

James Richardson

Explorer
OK so I've come to the conclusion that your right SweetAndLow, doing a bit of testing and I creating the folder in the FTP area (Windows Share), made a user on the Freenas server and put the Home Directory pointing to the FTP share. Then it creates a folder inside the FTP share, GREAT!! :):).

The only problem I've got is when i try some FTP software to connect, it gives me "access denied" unless I add "Everyone" in the Security tab in Windows, which I'd rather not if I can avoid it.

Is there anything else I can try to get it to work with Windows security groups and Freenas users, so I don't need everyone??

Thanks
James

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
OK so I've come to the conclusion that your right SweetAndLow, doing a bit of testing and I creating the folder in the FTP area (Windows Share), made a user on the Freenas server and put the Home Directory pointing to the FTP share. Then it creates a folder inside the FTP share, GREAT!! :):).

The only problem I've got is when i try some FTP software to connect, it gives me "access denied" unless I add "Everyone" in the Security tab in Windows, which I'd rather not if I can avoid it.

Is there anything else I can try to get it to work with Windows security groups and Freenas users, so I don't need everyone??

Thanks
James
Why do you keep talking about ftp like it's a windows share? They are completely different things. As long as the folder has the correct ownership for the user that is trying to login things should work. There could be some strange interaction because you are exposing a folder with smb and ftp at the same time. FTP usually expects unix permissions not windows.

James Richardson

Explorer
OK, the reason I keep saying about Windows share is because i need FTP share on the Freenas that need to be a Windows share, so employees can add files to the FTP folder created which will be set as an FTP site, there will be several ftp setups. My network is a Windows environment you see and I'm adding Freenas to it, i'm working in conjunction with.

So I want to make sure employees can read and write to it but also have the FTP connections working at the same time for external, it appears to only way for it to work with both windows permissions and FTP, I have to add the "Everyone" security group on the main share.

It's setup no problem with the current windows server and Filezilla server software.

Thanks
James

James Richardson

Explorer
Any suggestions on the "Everyone" security group, as soon as i remove this group from the top level (which i know isn't an ideal security group to use), i get "Access denied" when trying to connect with a FTP account.

Put it back at the top level it works again, even tried removing it from the top level and adding it to the folders inside but it doesn't like that either.

Does any know what security groups i can use that isn't "everyone" for it to work in conjunction with a Windows Network??

I've got it all to work, just this little permission problem.

Thanks,
James

Status
Not open for further replies.