Very slow CIFS write 1MB/s (high spec machine)

Status
Not open for further replies.

t1nais

Cadet
Hi, I just installed FreeNAS on a box I bought and my write performance is non-existent. I have a raid z2 setup across 6x WD Red 3TB disks. The machine is a quad core, 32GB RAM, Gb NIC. I setup a CIFS share and am only getting 1MB/second write speed. I am attempting to copy from my Win 7 machine to the FreeNAS box. Any ideas on why it could be so slow? Below is an iperf I ran from my Win 7 laptop to the FreeNAS box, and even the wireless gets 23MB/s, so I don't think my router/network is the problem (otherwise I should be topping out at 20MB/s at least).

Hostname freenas.local
Build FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-p2-x64 (r12686+b770da6_dirty)
Platform AMD A10-5800K APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
Memory 31931MB

Disks:
[root@freenas /mnt/storage/Test]# dd if=/dev/zero of=./del.me bs=1024k count=25k 25600+0 records in 25600+0 records out 26843545600 bytes transferred in 50.484395 secs (531719665 bytes/sec)
~=531MB/sec

Wireless network (Win) to GB FreeNAS (I know, use the wire, I did, it's still slow. CIFS writing is 20x slower than the wireless even):
[root@freenas /mnt/storage/Test]# iperf -c 192.168.1.130 ------------------------------------------------------------ Client connecting to 192.168.1.130, TCP port 5001 TCP window size: 32.5 KByte (default) ------------------------------------------------------------ [ 6] local 192.168.1.221 port 42831 connected with 192.168.1.130 port 5001 [ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth [ 6] 0.0-10.0 sec 219 MBytes 184 Mbits/sec
~=23MB/sec

Thanks for any suggestions.

Also, compression off, all disks passed SMART and are online, max CPU load 2%, free RAM 14GB

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Wirelessly you are getting 23MB/s? I don't see a problem there

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Horlix

Cadet
I will freely admit to being a Freenas noob, so feel free to ignore, but if I were in your shoes I would:-

1. check I have the 64bit version of Freenas rather than the 32bit one. noticed in your post the image name is 64 bit
2. try the dd test again but triple the size of the file created, since you have 32GB of RAM
3. temporarily disable any antivirus software on the client machine before retrying a file copy
4. try a file copy from another device
5. check the sysctls and tunables for any "performance enhancing" settings and remove them if you are certain they are not needed

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Trying to do an iperf testing is like trying to shoot a moving target with a 9mm. It's not exactly an effective way to see how things should perform. RF interference from other equipment that turns on and off at various times throughout the day (like a microwave) can affect the test. If you do it with the microwave off it seems fine, but when the microwave is on you may get crap performance. Even better is the fact that you might never recognize that the microwave actually has that effect.

As far as I am concerned, anyone that complains about any kind of issue over wifi gets an eyeroll from me. Wifi is great for wireless connections. But there is no guarantee that you can ever get enough performance or reliability to do anything that you want. And due to RF in the environment and other factors wifi can start and stop working without warning. So be happy that it works at all. Now if you have a Gb LAN and having issues that's a different story. Lowly Intel Atoms can generally beat Wifi for speed...

What you should do is redo the iperf test on a wired network, post ALL of your system specs including zpool configuration etc., get rid of any tuning you tried to do because it may be the problem, and try the stuff Horflix said.

Status
Not open for further replies.