Setup
DL380 Gen9
48gb RAM
CPU: E5-2620 2.0 ghz (6c, 12t)
8x2.4tb
RaidZ2
OS on 2 128gb USB atm.
Truenas 12.0-U3

i am got a Truenas setup that's used with SMB share to store a backup copy from VBR (Veeam Backup and Replication).
So this works fine in itself, as it's just moving a files to a network storage essentially.

"Problem" is that the file moving itself is fine, but when it merges,
which it takes forever, and looking at the stats i can't really see there being anything that's bottlenecking that much.

I am hoping ppl here might have experience with this and got some ideas.

---- Wall of text about my guesses and whatnot ;P ----
From searching around i think it has to do with how it can do stuff against the file system,
for example in the windows world it's REFS that's recommended and i think it has something that allows moving blocks of data that don't actually need to be rewritten much faster, or something along those lines.
And this is utilized a lot, but when you have an SMB share there's no such thing i guess, no clue if ZFS itself has what it takes or not, but i am guessing even if it does SMB will just hide this all together so it has to go the hard path and do all the stuff manually which takes forever (this is my guess based on what i could find).

So my thought was that perhaps using ISCSI would solve it, but i don't' got much experience with it, i have just tried it once to see how it works,
and the whole "network names" parts was just weird, but the end result seems to just be "here's a network share, work on it like it was a normal HDD".
Which allows for using whatever FS you want.

Now what scares me with this is that you are using 2 FS on top of one another, and if feels like a lot of what ZFS offers might go to waste,
and it's easier for data to becomes messed up if something goes wrong, cause if the "ISCSI FS" messes up stuff, it's not something wrong with the raw data itself,
so nothing can really be done.

Now it might just be paranoia and it's actually an awesome thing to use, i just don't know much about it:)

---- End of wall of text :) ----

So in short, what can be done to solve this, i am open for suggestions on different approaches as well.
The end results should just be that Veeam can make a copy of all backups the Truenas daily.
The idea was to just copy a full backup daily and keep 2, so i could swap them out,
but Veeam doesn't seem to work that way and wants to copy the whole incremental parts as well.

Thanks, and if i need more information is needed just tell.