vCenter Plug-in for TrueNAS Core

dwchan69

Contributor
Where do I go to download the vCenter Plug-in for TrueNAS core? What is the cost/availability model for this?

artlessknave

Wizard
vCenter Plug-in
pretty sure there is no such thing, thus the cost is infinite. what makes you think there is one if you don't even know where to get it?

dwchan69

Contributor
I am asking if IX-system put out a video about it

artlessknave

Wizard
huh. I didnt know that existed. and I guess I can see why:
iXsystems, Inc.
Currently it is only supported in TrueNAS (soon to be TrueNAS Enterprise)

according the ixystems comment right on that video, it is not available for core at all. so there will be no way to download it, since it's not available. vcenter is a paid vmware product, it can't just be downloaded or supplied as a regular plugin, since it requires a paid license.

dwchan69

Contributor
True, but the vCenter Storage plug-in is a very common value-add for storage vendor to provide as part of their solution. Isn't the core between TrueNAS core and Enterprise the same?

artlessknave

Wizard
vcenter is a propriety product by vmware. I'm surprised it's even in enterprise truenas. it's not freeware or open source at all. someone has to pay for any installation.
storage vendor to provide as part of their solution
yes, IXsystems is a vendor, and they provide it as part of their storage solution. their solution IS truenas enterprise, so if you want a vendor to supply this solution....pay the vendor for it. it is not part of core because it is literally not part of core truenas, it is part of the paid truenas. core is 100% free software, enterprise is exactly not.

Rand

Guru
VCenter is surly not included in TrueNas, but a vCenter TN Plugin is.

True, but the vCenter Storage plug-in is a very common value-add for storage vendor to provide as part of their solution. Isn't the core between TrueNAS core and Enterprise the same?
Updated TrueNAS vCenter Plugin 3.2 supports the new APIs in vSphere 6.5, 6.7-U2, 6.7-U3 (a,b), and 7.0. The plugin enables admins to setup and monitor VMs and storage from within the vCenter web interface. Existing customers can contact support@ixsystems.com to gain access to the plugin.
(https://www.ixsystems.com/blog/truenas-vmware-vsphere-7/?hss_channel=tw-20491096)

So no direct download option...
It suppose it should run on TNC as well, but they probably will not hand out access (sadly) as its a significant bonus capability for Enterprise vs Core...

artlessknave

Wizard
it isn't just bonus capability, vcenter, afaik, is 100% paid per license, and install, to vmware. they can't hand out software they have to pay for access to.

Rand

Guru
But we are not talking about vCenter as whole software, only an extra plugin for it.
You can't run the plugin without a (separately bought) vCenter instance, but you can run vCenter without the plugin.

artlessknave

Wizard
(separately bought) vCenter instance
ah. if that's the case then I'm less sure. I have never used vcenter due to the license, I didn't realize this plugin isn't a vcenter instance. I still don't see them making it avaiable since it's part of their sold product, especially if, like it sounds, it's a custom connection that runs b/w their product(freenas E) and vcenter?

Rand

Guru
I dont see them handing it out either unfortunately, but it would be nice.

dwchan69

Contributor
Thank you guys, I will reach out and follow-up with the link provided. I understand if IX want to have a nominal charge for the the plug-in, but in my case, I own vCenter