/var filled up because of loads of snapshots

Status
Not open for further replies.

krankyd

Cadet
HI,

Had a small issue, we have 2 freenas filers running, box A sends snapshots once an hour, keep for 4 days to box B. There was an issue with box B so the snapshots didn't get sent across. This also caused issues on box A, as there are now 7500 snapshots there (they are not being removed), and when the autosnap process scans the snapshots to determine their state, it logs thousands of messages every second to /var/log/messages - which causes /var to fill up and the box to hang.

I'm just going through and removing the snapshots now, but I have 2 questions:

1) How does freenas delete the old snapshots - it should be based upon the creation date of the snapshot, not necessarily the transmission date of the snapshot
2) How can I increase /var. Seems stupid having a 70meg partition when I have a 146G hard disk filled up with nothing.

Thanks.

dave

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
HI,
1) How does freenas delete the old snapshots - it should be based upon the creation date of the snapshot, not necessarily the transmission date of the snapshot

This should be the lifetime you set for periodic snapshots options

2) How can I increase /var. Seems stupid having a 70meg partition when I have a 146G hard disk filled up with nothing.

/conf/base/var/md_size

(Stupid is installing freenas on 146G harddisk not having the space unused)

krankyd

Cadet
This should be the lifetime you set for periodic snapshots options

/conf/base/var/md_size

(Stupid is installing freenas on 146G harddisk not having the space unused)

The lifeline is set for 4 days but I have snapshots for over 2 months. Currently taking snapshots for 1 hour over 4 days should not produce 7000+ snapshots. Something is not quite working.

>>(Stupid is installing freenas on 146G harddisk not having the space unused)

Dude - have no idea what you're talking about. The space is unused - that is why I want to increase the var partition so I don't hit this kind of issue again.

Status
Not open for further replies.