Using FreeNAS with Backblaze B2 As Nightly Backups?

ekarni

Explorer
Hello!

So I recently managed to get my FreeNAS backing up to Backblaze B2, but it took me over 24h to upload everything. I was wondering if it'll take that long each time I back up, or if it'll only upload the difference (new files, or modified ones) each time?

I'd like to have the backup done on a daily basis, but if it is going to take over 24h each time, it'll probably need to be a monthly thing, which means that I could be at risk of losing a lot of data. If scheduled backup of only the changes isn't possible, what are my options?

Thanks in advance :D

Alecmascot

Guru
I use the sync option and it only does the differences.
I backup hourly.

ekarni

Explorer
I use the sync option and it only does the differences.
I backup hourly.

Thanks for your help! I only seem to have Push || Pull as options. Where do you see sync as an option?

Edit: I found the option you were talking about. Move, Copy & Sync were the options and I had mine on Copy. I'll change it to Sync now. Do I need to redo the task, or can I just change it now to Sync?

Do I want to check the Snapshot box?

Last edited:

Alecmascot

Guru
Do I need to redo the task, or can I just change it now to Sync?
Do I want to check the Snapshot box?
Just change it to sync.
You can snapshot it of you want but it is not a requirement

ekarni

Explorer
Just change it to sync.
You can snapshot it of you want but it is not a requirement
What benefit would I get from snapshot? The goal of this is just to have a place to store data in case the server died for whatever reason

Alecmascot

Guru
What benefit would I get from snapshot?
If you were doing a MOVE you might want to preserve the files that were deleted.

ekarni

Explorer
If you were doing a MOVE you might want to preserve the files that were deleted.
I see!!! Thanks for explaining that! I have one more question I'm sorry. Seems like I'm hitting a Daily Class C Call cap when trying to upload my data. I spoke with Backblaze and they suggested I talk to FreeNAS or rClone. What should I do about this? I thought if it was a daily thing, that it would just pick up where it left off the day before and slowly continue to upload data, but it just keeps hitting the cap each day and doesn't upload anything new.

Any ideas?

Alecmascot

Guru
You should register a credit card for any fees.
I have and things like that are unlocked and now as I do not exceed the storage limit it costs me nothing.

ekarni

Explorer
You should register a credit card for any fees.
I have and things like that are unlocked and now as I do not exceed the storage limit it costs me nothing.

I already have a card on file with them, but I'm still hitting the 2500 call limit. This is the email I got from Backblaze support

Looking over the account I see it is the free amount, 2,500, as outlined here: https://www.backblaze.com/b2/b2-transactions-price.html
I also note, that yes, as of this reply, and the day before, that about 8-10 thousand Class C Calls are being attempted, resulting in this issue.

To help with this, there are a couple ways to address it.
A) Increase the Class C Call Cap to pay for a few more per-day, allowing those Calls to be made
&/or
B) ask with rClone(or FreeNAS) why so many Calls are happening & how to reduce them, so the Cap isnt hit.
(We recommend asking them, as they wrote the software making the Calls, so would be the best to help troubleshoot that specifically)

Alecmascot

Guru
What freenas/truenas are you running. ?
There was an issue with this some little time ago.

ekarni

Explorer
What freenas/truenas are you running. ?
There was an issue with this some little time ago.
1607366328005.png

Alecmascot

Guru

ekarni

Explorer
Seems like they are using 11.2 and they are talking about a fix with 11.3 which is what I'm on. So am I missing something? Should this have been solved already?