User's Windows Home directories all sharing the same content

nicoPSV31

Cadet
Hi All,

I'm new to FREENAS and am running version 11.3-U3.2 on a custom machine. I'm struggling with getting home shares to work properly; it must be some sort of really stupid issue as I've spent hours on forums to try to find the solution to my problem and I found no post dealing with a similar matter...

The problem I have is that, although I can see the home shares created for each users through Windows Explorer, it looks like each user's home shares its content with the one of other users. What I mean is that if I drop a file in user1's home, user2 will see exactly the same file...

I've set up FREENAS following the steps below I found in the documentation:
  1. Created a specific dataset (in my case, homeshares on a pool named LAB). I kept all default options during the creation of the dataset, including the Share Type which is set to Generic (also tried the SMB option)
  2. Created a new share (named home) from the Windows Shares (SMB) menu, checked the "Use as home share" checkbox. The path is "/mnt/LAB/homeshares". I left all other options to their default values, including the default ACL options ("allow everyone@ full control no inherit" and "allow group@ full control inherit")
  3. Created a new user "user1" with the following home directory: /mnt/LAB/homeshares/user1, left default permissions and checked the "Microsoft Account" checkbox
  4. Created a new user "user2" with the following home directory: /mnt/LAB/homeshares/user2, left default permissions and checked the "Microsoft Account" checkbox
From there, I can see 3 shares on my network: home, user1 and user2. If I drop a file on user1's share, I can see the same file in user2's.

It however looks like the home folders for each user are however created, as I can see them when I go back to the user edition screen...

I'm running out of idea as to why my system behaves this way. As anyone encountered something similar?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

nicoPSV31

Cadet
Hi, this is the output I get when I enter testparm -s

Load smb config files from /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

# Global parameters
[global]
aio max threads = 2
bind interfaces only = Yes
disable spoolss = Yes
dns proxy = No