User home directory

William Bravin

Contributor
hello all

please be patient and understanding

due to a power outage i had to rebuilt the bootable usb to install 11.3 r5. As you can see from my signature i have 2 freenas servers. the one installation on the supermicro server is working perfectly.

by this i mean that i see the server, the shares and their content when i query then via the window network neighborhood. Both from win 7 machines and win 10 units. this server is called freenas2.

in the case of my other server (call it freenas) in the windows net work neighborhood i can see the server the shares and the recycling bin folder for each share..

I compare both freenas installation side by side

the only difference i can see is that in the user section my account *wbravin) in the freenas2 server this user account has as home directory /mnt/media and all works fine .

when i try to add the same user to the freenas server and reach the home directory section and try to set /mnt/media/ as home directory i get an error
The specified path is a ZFS pool mountpoint "(/mnt/media)"

what have i done wrong

please help i have been at it for the last 3 days

Thank you in advance for you time, patience and help

William Bravin

Contributor
Try setting it to /mnt/media/wbravin (type in last component).
Wow! that was quick thank you for your speedy response I did change the home directory as you indicate alas to no avail

I still get to view the server, the datasets (that are shared) and for each dataset i see the recycle bin only. I'm really stumped becase prior to my debacle all was working fine with /mnt/media

once again thank you

William Bravin

Contributor
update i re booted the server for the 4th time today and it worked as it should. Once again thank you for your help

cheers

William Bravin

Contributor
hello

My issue was with permission on the 2 servers. I ensured that the permissions were equally configured. ands to make it so i had to reboot the server What is your issue ?

Last edited: