Home directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

giacombum

Explorer
Hi, I'm a FreeNAS newbie, I've searched a bit on internet and on FreeNAS documentation but I haven't find an answer to my question: how and where I've to create my home directory?

I've set up a FreeNAS server with a single pool with 6x4tb HDDs in RAID-Z2, where I've planned to put all my data: I've create a dataset 'Libreria', where I've putted all my media library, then I've added, with mkdir, a 'Dati' folder and a 'home' folder, in which I've create, always with mkdir a 'giacomo' (my name) folder, following the linux convention for home directories.

Obviously in FreeNAS I've added a 'giacomo' user, with the home directory that is the directory I've created, but I don't know if this is the correct procedure...

1) I've to create the home directory as a dataset?
2) Also the 'Dati' folder has to be created as dataset?
3) If I try to remove the 'Dati' folder with a simple rm -rf, I receive a 'permission denied' also if the proprietary of the folder is 'giacomo', that has all the rights on the folder... and I execute the rm -rf command as giacomo user... What is happening?

giacombum

Explorer
Hi, I'm a FreeNAS newbie, I've searched a bit on internet and on FreeNAS documentation but I haven't find an answer to my question: how and where I've to create my home directory?

I've set up a FreeNAS server with a single pool with 6x4tb HDDs in RAID-Z2, where I've planned to put all my data: I've create a dataset 'Libreria', where I've putted all my media library, then I've added, with mkdir, a 'Dati' folder and a 'home' folder, in which I've create, always with mkdir a 'giacomo' (my name) folder, following the linux convention for home directories.

Obviously in FreeNAS I've added a 'giacomo' user, with the home directory that is the directory I've created, but I don't know if this is the correct procedure...

3) If I try to remove the 'Dati' folder with a simple rm -rf, I receive a 'permission denied' also if the proprietary of the folder is 'giacomo', that has all the rights on the folder... and I execute the rm -rf command as giacomo user... What is happening?
Up

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5 utilizzando Tapatalk

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast

Please use the excellent documentation linked (click on User Guide) at the top of every page and choose the doc version that matches the FreeNAS version you are running.

You don't need to create things via the command line in most cases, you should be using the GUI for this type of creation. FreeNAS is based on unix not linux, so this may be why you are having trouble.

The forum has a Resource Section tab that also contains useful information as well as the Search Feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.