Use .IMG file to install VM

Xenouniv3rse

Dabbler
Hi all,
I need some help. I want to install Kemp Load Balancer and I got the IMG image.
Is there a way that I can use the IMG file to install the VM and not use an ISO file as i dont have one and one does not exist.\

Thank you helping

mgoulet65

Explorer
Can you convert the img to iso? Lots of tools for this task.

diogen

Explorer
I tried converting the vmdk file to iso...
Why would you do that?

An ISO file is one you normally boot from to start installation.
A VMDK file is a final image of a completed installation (of a VM running on ESXi hypervisor)...

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
There appears to be a KVM format image for the VLM - I'd suggest starting with that one?

Failing that, virt-convert or virt-v2v might be necessary to use on the OVA format file.

Xenouniv3rse

Dabbler
Why would you do that?

An ISO file is one you normally boot from to start installation.
A VMDK file is a final image of a completed installation (of a VM running on ESXi hypervisor)...
Yes i am well aware of what a vmdk file is. I am trying to install Kemp Load Balancer on my server. Do you have any idea how to get it working?
There appears to be a KVM format image for the VLM - I'd suggest starting with that one?

Failing that, virt-convert or virt-v2v might be necessary to use on the OVA format file.
That is the one that I have. I downloaded the .disk file and converted it and still didnt work.
1660460577586.png

That is what i get

ElNinio

Cadet
Hello I've a Solution Since 30 minutes i've a Working VM with LoadMaster

I try to explain it with a short Version of my Journey

You need 20 GB of space on your system and the Loadmaster Image for Xen/KVM

1. under Storage create a zvol with the name of your choice my was "lm"
2. copy the loadmaster KVM image to a Share and maybe shorten the filename my short was "lm.disk"
3. open the Console in the webinterface and type in my case "dd if=/mnt/data/storage/ws/lm.disk of=/dev/zvol/data/vm/lm in my case i've to wait about 5 Minutes to copy the content of the raw diskimage to the new zvol
4. Create a new VM with te Wizzard but use an Existing zvol in my case the "lm" zvol and start the VM

My hardware is a HP Microserver with E3-1220 and 8 Gig ive attached 2 gig of memory to the LM VM now i ve set it up complete

best Regards Klaus