USB SSD install?

diskdiddler

Wizard
Hello,

I've had many a long argument about this with CORE for years and it's worked fine for me with a single failure once in an entire decade.

Understand people don't want us to use USB on either, but it does work on CORE.

So I come to my question, I recently purchased one of these and found it reliable, fast and well designed.

So I ask, will SCALE have issues with this simply sure to being USB, or is the issue more centred around the reliability of flash in general?

I've got several of these spare and much like my existing CORE setup, I'm happy to use two for redundancy.

Does SCALE support a USB install "properly" the way CORE does? (Yes, I know it's not supported)

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
It works, but we find it causes problems because of poor reliability.
Very few USB devices are built for continuous writing and occasional power failures.

Its like the US gun laws.... you can store a loaded gun in your kids bedroom, but do you really want to?

diskdiddler

Wizard
It works, but we find it causes problems because of poor reliability.
Very few USB devices are built for continuous writing and occasional power failures.

Its like the US gun laws.... you can store a loaded gun in your kids bedroom, but do you really want to?

I'm using plain old flash disk's from SanDisk right now and they're 5 years old with zero failures....

I'm considering switching to USB enclosures with actual real SSDs inside them. This should be more reliable than my existing reliable setup

Let me clarify here.

I'm well aware of the stance against USB storage as I mentioned in my post. My query is on the precise issue. USB disconnects, flash failure, USB drivers etc?

Let's assume my USB enclosure is excellent and my system USB ports and drivers are reliable (this much seems certain at this point) then we're in the position where for all intents and purposes I'll be using an SSD for storage (not a bad one either, the same ones that ship with the Microsoft surface)

Last edited:

ChrisRJ

Wizard
USB as interface works for booting the OS, but not for data disks.

USB sticks are likely to die fast, but a proper SSD with a SATA/NVME-to-USB converter should be fine.

For your data pool any involvement of USB comes with a lot of risk.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Ok thank you!

I'll work with that.

I'm seeing other posters here, with issues booting scale from the USB stick, but it installs ok.

I'm going to convert my core setup to dual USB SSD (they're also much much larger) and then see if I can side load scale as offered in the UI (train switch)

Be curious how that goes