USB flash drive is only recognized at second attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schmonz

Cadet
Hello,

I recently purchased a new USB drive to back up my existing system disk on a mirrored volume. Unfortunately, the drive is not recognized upon boot, leading to a critical error condition every time I start up the FreeNAS server. I have to pull the USB stick from the port and put it back in again to get the system to recognize it. I then get the expected messages from the kernel, and the system state turns green again shortly after:

Code:
[root@freenas ~]# dmesg
ugen1.2: <JetFlash Mass Storage Device> at usbus1							   
umass1 on uhub0																 
umass1: <JetFlash Mass Storage Device, class 0/0, rev 3.00/11.00, addr 1> on usb
us1																			 
umass1:  SCSI over Bulk-Only; quirks = 0x8100								   
umass1:12:1: Attached to scbus12												
da1 at umass-sim1 bus 1 scbus12 target 0 lun 0								 
da1: <JetFlash Transcend 16GB 1100> Removable Direct Access SPC-4 SCSI device   
da1: Serial Number 02Y2575NFBUGNDI7											 
da1: 400.000MB/s transfers													 
da1: 15064MB (30851072 512 byte sectors)										
da1: quirks=0x12<NO_6_BYTE,NO_RC16>											 

Do you know what needs to be done to make FreeNAS recognize the USB drive at boot? Do you need any more data about the underlying hardware? If so, how can I retrieve it? I am no expert in FreeBSD, so I am not sure what could be causing this behaviour or how to triage it properly.

Thanks!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It would help to know the exact error output.

Schmonz

Cadet
Hi, sorry it took so long for me to answer, I was quite busy the past week. Here is what I see in the web interface when I boot up FreeNAS:

freenas_error.png

This is what I see on the command line:

# zpool list
NAME SIZE ALLOC FREE EXPANDSZ FRAG CAP DEDUP HEALTH ALTROO
T
freenas-boot 14.4G 1.03G 13.3G - - 7% 1.00x DEGRADED -
mainvolume 14.5T 4.78T 9.72T - 14% 32% 1.00x ONLINE /mnt

Now I remove the USB drive and plug it back in as described. The error in the web interface vanishes and I can see the dmesg output that I posted earlier.

zpool list looks normal now as well:

# zpool list
NAME SIZE ALLOC FREE EXPANDSZ FRAG CAP DEDUP HEALTH ALTROO
T
freenas-boot 14.4G 1.04G 13.3G - - 7% 1.00x ONLINE -
mainvolume 14.5T 4.78T 9.72T - 14% 32% 1.00x ONLINE /mnt

Please tell me if you need more information and where I can retrieve it.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Please post images directly to the forum and not to third-party image hosts. Just copy/paste them into your messages.

Is the offending drive the same model as the other one?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Okay so that's a bit less mysterious. Unfortunately, crap USB flash drives are very frequent and there's probably not much that can be done that is worth doing. I recommend you try a different model, ideally from a more reputable brand (SanDisk, Toshiba, Corsair, ...).

Schmonz

Cadet
So Transcend JetFlash is not a "reputable brand" where you live? I am sorry, but this is one of the best sticks I could get. If you are unable to help me here I will rather try a different OS than a different USB drive.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
So Transcend JetFlash is not a "reputable brand"
No, it is not. The same goes for the vast majority of USB flash drives out there. They're cheap for a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.