SOLVED USB drive not recognised by installer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vortagh

Cadet
Hey guys, hope you can help out!

I decided to upgrade my NAS to a brand new Asrock N3700-ITX I had still lying around, together with 16GB of RAM and an Intenso 16GB USB stick (USB 3.0). I'm using the latest stable from the page.

Now, I've heard of the problems with USB 3.0, so I made sure to put the stick in one of the two USB 2.0 ports. I also used the old 8GB stick I used as boot drive on the old board, as installation medium. No joy. Mountroot error. Tried a few things, like adding set xhci_load="YES", but still no joy.

So kept reading the boards and I just DD'ed the iso to an old SATA drive, figuring I don't need any other drives at installation. Worked fine, I got the installer aaaaand - no drives detected. There's no USB drive to find anywhere. I checked the BIOS, updated it to the latest version (1.50), checked the boot order and made sure the USB sticks (there's two entries, one as USB, one as UEFI, I left both of them in the list) are first, before the SATA drive is listed, set USB legacy to enabled...nothing. I tried that xhci line again, in grub. Nothing.

I simply cannot get the system to see that bloody stick. I searched the forums, everything. I assume installing to another internal drive would do the trick, but the point of the upgrade was to be able to add more RAM, so I can use all four of those multi-TB drives. So taking one out of the system, just to run FreeNAS, would be KINDA counter-productive. ;-)

Any help would be much appreciated

Vortagh

Cadet
Thanks for the reply, this actually did the trick.
When I read your reply, I had already found the suggestion to try 9.10 in another thread I dug out. I downloaded the current nightly, put it on the same USB stick, plugged it in, booted and it installed without a hitch at the first try. I am currently looking at the gui.
Thank you!
I am, however, running a Braswell SoC Pentium, not a Skylake CPU, which should be a lot older. Any idea on why this helped anyway?

Vortagh

Cadet
Thanks again for your fast reply. Much appreciated! Currently importing my old volumes :)

Status
Not open for further replies.