UPS - Want just basic protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

B34N

Dabbler
I'm enjoying my FreeNAS system. It runs very well and I want to keep it that way so that my data is safe.

I'm now looking into getting a UPS to work with my system. I'm not looking for something that will run my system for any period of time. All I want is to gracefully shut down the system so I don't have any problems. If the shut down happens immediately after loosing power or a few minutes later doesn't matter to me as if I loose power my need to access the server is gone.

1. Will I be making a mistake by going with a small UPS such as a APC Back-UPS BE550G or equivalent? Top priority is safety of data but keeping costs down is important. I have flexibility in budget if a spending more makes sense.
  2. Will I be able to have my system (see signature) power back on once power is restored?
  3. Any recommendations on unit or VA size for my setup? Keeping a cable modem, router and Obihai powered up would be nice in addition to the FreeNAS server.

Thank you,
B34N

cyberjock

Inactive Account
1. If it's supported by NUT you should be fine.
2. Yes, but I don't recommend it be automatic. Often when power is restored it fluctuates a few times, and this can be bad for your server.
3. Your current size is probably okay. I'd look at something slightly bigger just to cover future expansion. Nobody buys a 4U chassis and then puts "only" 4 hard drives in it. ;)

L

L

You want to pick a ups based on the va of system at startup or at runtime. All servers/disks publish va.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
B34N:

That particular UPS is a fine choice 98% of the time for the home user. There's hundreds of people (in the FreeNAS community) using it for their desktops and their FreeNAS's. In fact, I have two systems on it.

B34N

Dabbler
1. If it's supported by NUT you should be fine.
Got-cha. I'll make sure I get NUT...which should be pretty standard.
2. Yes, but I don't recommend it be automatic. Often when power is restored it fluctuates a few times, and this can be bad for your server.
Is there an option to work within parameters such as turn on only after 30-mins of power restoration? Yes, I understand power doesn't always come on and stay on. I'm really just wanting to make sure that if I'm away travelling for business that I will have remote access to my server.
3. Your current size is probably okay. I'd look at something slightly bigger just to cover future expansion. Nobody buys a 4U chassis and then puts "only" 4 hard drives in it. ;)
I'm open to going bigger. My thought is that by the time I expand that I'll likely need to replace batteries and replacing units is about the same cost as replacing just batteries. Or maybe I'll use this on my office desktop after an upgrade.

Agreed, 4U is overkill for now but the chassis cost was really reasonable...so reasonable I'm thinking about having disk-less systems use the same chassis...mainly because it looks cool and will match. SWMBO agrees! Everything is in my basement and I plan on eventually getting a cabinet off craigslist to store this and a few other systems. Rackmount is not necessary but the cool factor is hard to pass up.

Status
Not open for further replies.