UPS shutdown ESXI 6.5

neb50

Dabbler
Try adding/updating the following from the vmware article.

To allow root access, change PermitRootLogin no to PermitRootLogin yes in the /etc/ssh/sshd_configfile.

To disable password login, ensure that the ChallengeResponseAuthentication and PasswordAuthentication are set to no(I think I left this one to yes).

Reload the service:

• For ESXi, run the command:

/etc/init.d/SSH restart

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1002866

mephisto

Dabbler
I've not heard that is possible to use powerchute with USB, so far I know it needs APC network card.

I've done this setup many times, you need a VMA appliance, install powerchute VIB and then configured it to talk to the APC network card, the card will talk back to the VMA appliance which then will trigger the shutdown of all other VMs gracefully and then shutdown the host as well if under the battery % threshold you configured

Evertb1

Guru
If it is an APC UPS, the Powerchute virtual appliance is free. That is what I use.
Finding a good solution for a clean shut down when the power fails is the last thing that keeps me from moving FreeNAS to a VM in ESXi. Having the host in the lead of acting on the UPS message and shutting down the VM's would be preferred I think. As my UPS is an APC model, using Powerchute virtual appliance sounds good to me. But I can only find solutions/examples with networked APC models and not with an USB connection like mine. So does anybody know if this will work with an USB model?

But I can only find solutions/examples with networked APC models and not with an USB connection like mine. So does anybody know if this will work with an USB model?
I haven't tried it with FreeNAS, but nut/upsd in a bare metal configuration looks to support USB UPS monitoring. There is an option for master/slave which seems to indicate that there is remote capability. Another option would be to see if Powerchute virtual supports USB, and perhaps nut/upsd could monitor that remotely.

Last edited:

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Finding a good solution for a clean shut down when the power fails is the last thing that keeps me from moving FreeNAS to a VM in ESXi. Having the host in the lead of acting on the UPS message and shutting down the VM's would be preferred I think. As my UPS is an APC model, using Powerchute virtual appliance sounds good to me. But I can only find solutions/examples with networked APC models and not with an USB connection like mine. So does anybody know if this will work with an USB model?
@Evertb1, I have written a couple of resources concerning UPS and ESXi setup that enable me to gracefully shut down VMs from a FreeNAS-on-ESXi VM. I use ESXi v6.0, but the principles are the same for v6.5.

https://www.ixsystems.com/community/resources/utility-scripts-for-freenas-and-vmware-esxi.29/
https://www.ixsystems.com/community...rt-for-single-or-multiple-freenas-servers.30/

Evertb1

Guru
@Evertb1, I have written a couple of resources concerning UPS and ESXi setup that enable me to gracefully shut down VMs from a FreeNAS-on-ESXi VM. I use ESXi v6.0, but the principles are the same for v6.5.
Yes it looks like I need to go that way. Not what I had in mind but at a certain point you just need to go with something that works.

Last edited:

T Bizzle

Cadet
CyberPower UPS units work very well for this kind of scenario. I have multiple UPS units running for my job - each one attached to it's own ESXi system. One server has a virtualized FreeNAS system and another system contains a pFsense instance. CyberPower provides a dedicated OVA for monitoring the UPS, with fairly granular settings to configure the system as you see fit.

https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/p...powerpanel-business-edition-virtual-machines/

The only extra bit that I did was make a user in ESXi specifically for the this system & assign it a fairly limited role(s) so it can just shutdown the server. Doing it like this is nice so it's independent of your own login for ESXi in case you change your password this system will still function normally.