UPS: how to know if it is compatible with TrueNAS CORE?

zamana

Contributor
Hi!

My current UPS is dying (so I think...) and I'm planning to buy a new one.

I'm considering a Brazilian brand (SMS) and there is just one driver available (highlighted in RED) in TrueNAS currently:

nobreak.png

And the technical manual says nothing about drivers...

The question is: how can I know, before actually buying, that the UPS has a driver compatible with TrueNAS CORE?

I know I can always ask the company, but I doubt that they know anything about TrueNAS, FreeBSD and UNIX in general...

Thanks.
Regards.

Attachments

• DOVI049141.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 175
TrueNAS uses NUT. You can check the HCL at the developers site, but even if your exact model is not listed most manufacturers use the same driver/protocol for the majority of their models.

Even though the model in the PDF you attached has both a USB and serial interface, looks like only the serial option is supported

zamana

Contributor
Hi!

Yes, I check this page:

1656967569625.png

I'm trying to contact the SMS company in order to know if this UPS is in this "Manager III" model category...

Thanks.
Regards.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I recommend staying away from anything using the USB-HID interface. NUT is a rather Linux centric project and the implementation of USB in FreeBSD is sufficiently different to cause compatibility problems. An UPS with a network interface and SNMP has a way greater chance of working out of the box.

zamana

Contributor
Got it.

It has this as an optional component:

6.3. SMS NET ADAPTER II (Adaptador de rede SNMP/HTTP)

It's a network adapter that allows it to be managed without the need of a computer...

Would this resolve the driver compatibility issue?

Got it.

It has this as an optional component:

6.3. SMS NET ADAPTER II (Adaptador de rede SNMP/HTTP)

It's a network adapter that allows it to be managed without the need of a computer...

Would this resolve the driver compatibility issue?
I don't think TrueNAS supports SNMP UPS monitoring