Upgrading to 12.0 U3 generates a lot of SMBD and NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER

andrema2

Explorer
Hi

I upgraded from 12 U2.21 to 12 U3 and as soon as it rebooted I started to see error after error with SMBD and others.

These are the msgs I saw

smbd 1753 ../../source3/passdb/lookup_sid.c:1528(get_primary_group_sid)
smbd 1753 Failed to find a Unix account for andre
smbd 1753 ../../source3/auth/check_samsem.c:493(check_sam_security)
smbd 1753 check_sam_security: make_server_info_sam() failed with 'NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER'

I couldn't connected while the errors were happening.

As soon as rollback to to 12 U2.1 the msgs stopped and the system was working again.

The user it is complaining has a primary group (wheel) and a secondary

Any idea why ?

MrJoki007

Dabbler
I have the same problem:

andrema2

Explorer
I could not connect via SSH. At this moment I can not upgrade to 12 u3.
These are my Auxiliary Parameters at the SMS Service
aio max threads = 100
ea support = yes
vfs objects = fruit streams_xattr
fruit:metadata = stream
fruit:model = MacSamba
fruit:veto_appledouble = no
fruit:zero_file_id = yes
fruit:wipe_intentionally_left_blank_rfork = yes
fruit:delete_empty_adfiles = yes
fruit:posix_rename = yes

and on the time machine share I have
vfs objects=aio_fbsd tmprotect fruit streams_xattr shadow_copy_zfs ixnas
fruit:time machine=yes

smoeschter

Explorer
Hi

I upgraded from 12 U2.21 to 12 U3 and as soon as it rebooted I started to see error after error with SMBD and others.

These are the msgs I saw

smbd 1753 ../../source3/passdb/lookup_sid.c:1528(get_primary_group_sid)
smbd 1753 Failed to find a Unix account for andre
smbd 1753 ../../source3/auth/check_samsem.c:493(check_sam_security)
smbd 1753 check_sam_security: make_server_info_sam() failed with 'NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER'

I couldn't connected while the errors were happening.

As soon as rollback to to 12 U2.1 the msgs stopped and the system was working again.

The user it is complaining has a primary group (wheel) and a secondary

Any idea why ?
Exactly the same problem here. Including to not be able to login via ssh. Downgrade the System solved the problem. Upgrade is impossible, no matter which process I use. Which means local upgrade or download.

NationalJohnsO

Dabbler
Exact same issue here. After upgrade to 12-U3 all SMB shares stopped working. I stripped and recreated all ACLs on the network shares and checked permissions and settings on all SMB shares. This worked until reboot and then everything was unaccessible again and I had to strip ACLs, reapply permissions on shares and some shares would work again.

Rolled back to 12-U2.1 and all is working fine again.
Lots of the same errors in my smb.log

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Exact same issue here. After upgrade to 12-U3 all SMB shares stopped working. I stripped and recreated all ACLs on the network shares and checked permissions and settings on all SMB shares. This worked until reboot and then everything was unaccessible again and I had to strip ACLs, reapply permissions on shares and some shares would work again.

Rolled back to 12-U2.1 and all is working fine again.
Lots of the same errors in my smb.log
Can you PM me a debug please? Or send me a PM asking for my email address to email it to me if you're uncomfortable attaching it to a PM.
There should be no reason to strip ACLs from your shares. Upgrades do not impact on-disk permissions.

Last edited:

NationalJohnsO

Dabbler
Can you PM me a debug please? Or send me a PM asking for my email address to email it to me if you're uncomfortable attaching it to a PM.

Happy to do so, I've rolled back to 12-U2.1, will a log still have to required info in?

Also what do I need to do to generate a debug log?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Happy to do so, I've rolled back to 12-U2.1, will a log still have to required info in?

Also what do I need to do to generate a debug log?
It's better to have the debug from U3 while the problem is manifested. You can generate by clicking System->Advanced->Save Debug. Under no circumstances should stripping ACLs be required for any procedure post-upgrade (I was recently informed of some advice to this effect passing around). ACLs are on-disk and untouched by updates.

If access to data is not possible and time does not exist to properly troubleshoot and file a bug report, then rolling back to the previous boot environment is a better option.

NationalJohnsO

Dabbler
Yes unfortunately I did have to roll back as access to data was critical and causing issues for users. Will PM you a log anyway in case it has some useful info in (what do I do to generate the log?)

I did have to re setup the ACLs after i did the roll back as it had reverted them to the previous unix permissions that i was was previously using.
As a side note, this is quite an old install from back in the early days of FreeNAS 11 if that makes any difference.

smoeschter

Explorer
Anything new to proceed here? Still I'm not able to update the system.

smoeschter

Explorer

smoeschter

Explorer
No, I was just browsing around here to see if there were any news. I'm still stuck on the 12 U2.
Same here. No clue how I can solve this strange behavior. First time that I got those problems just because of an update.
Anyway, thanks a lot for answering. :smile:

smoeschter

Explorer
No, I was just browsing around here to see if there were any news. I'm still stuck on the 12 U2.
Hi andrema2

just in case you couldn't solve the issue, I found a solution.
First make a backup of your actual configuration and save it.
Download the TrueNas installation file for a new install.
Create a bootable Boot device an choose New install in existing Boot environment.
After the installing process boot in the fresh install and upload your saved backup config.

After the final reboot it works as it expected. No issues everything works well as it was before.
Cheers,

Sven