Upgrading FreeNAS and drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwfitzy

Explorer
I am replacing all the 300GB drives with 4TB one at a time as I've read. There are six (6) drives and I've replaced two so far both in different mirrors. Once I replace the drive physically and in the GUI, the DEGRADED status turns to HEALTHY almost immediately. Do the drives sync up that fast? I don't want to replace another drive in the same mirror until I understand exactly what I'm doing. I've read that once they are all updated, the size will increase. Am I doing this correctly?

Secondly, this server is running FreeNAS 9.3 and I need to upgrade no doubt. I tried changing trains to 9.10 and after a reboot when done it gives me the following:

Code:
{"message": "Error: no such column: system_settings.stg_sysloglevel", "events": [], "error": true}

Can I just do a fresh install of FreeNAS 11 and import my backup config? Any guidance appreciated!

danb35

Hall of Famer
Do the drives sync up that fast?
Most probably, depending on just how quickly you mean by "almost immediately" (is it a matter of seconds, or minutes?) and how much data is on the pool. If your old disks are 300 GB, there can't be that much data, so I would expect the resilvering to go very quickly.

rwfitzy

Explorer
Thanks. Not sure exactly how long, but by the time I pulled up the GUI within 5 minutes, it was done. So is it safe to replace the other drive in the same mirror as long as the status is HEALTHY? Is there a log I can view the progress?

danb35

Hall of Famer
So is it safe to replace the other drive in the same mirror as long as the status is HEALTHY?
Should be. The system won't let you offline the remaining 300 GB disk if it would be a problem.
Is there a log I can view the progress?
Not that I know of; AFAIK the routine resilvering isn't logged.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
zpool status will show you if the pool is resilvering.

nojohnny101

Wizard
You can also view if your pool is being re-silvered or scrubbed by logging into the GUI then going to Storage -> click on your pool (top most level) -> click on "volume status" at bottom after selecting your volume -> then it should display if a re-silver is going on right under the tab that says "Volume Status".

rwfitzy

Explorer
Thanks for the pointers to everyone, I should be able to verify status of upgrading drives. To my second question, is it possible to do a fresh install of FreeNAS 11 and import my backup config from 9.3?

danb35

Hall of Famer

nojohnny101

Wizard
Thanks for the pointers to everyone, I should be able to verify status of upgrading drives. To my second question, is it possible to do a fresh install of FreeNAS 11 and import my backup config from 9.3?
'
Why not just do a fresh install of 9.3, import config, then upgrade through the GUI? Probably doesn't matter as @danb35 said, but that makes more sense to me

rwfitzy

Explorer
No need to do fresh install of 9.3, it boots fine. I tried switching to the 9.10 train already and described my issue in the OP. However, I can still boot the 9.3 environment no problem.

Today I did try fresh install of 11 to a new USB drive and the GUI would not fully load. It gives me the header and starts to build in the menu, but never does leaving me with mostly a white page. I've experienced this in the past as sometimes it takes a bit to load the page, but I waited several minutes for it never to load the menu or display fully. I checked nginx and system message logs and could not find any errors. I am back up with the original USB drive and 9.3 again. Am I just not waiting long enough or can I find more info somehow as to the hold up or status? I was going to do this fresh install to 11 to move from the current 8GB USB drive to a new 32GB drive, if needed?

BTW - got all the drives updated to 4TB except one. With 6 disks on three mirrors, I was glad to find it went ahead and gave me the almost 8TB from the two completely upgraded mirrors. I should have the final drive tomorrow. I was able to watch all resilvering with zpool status mentioned by @Jailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.