Upgrading 3TB to 6TB disks in my RAIDz2 (for larger pool size) Problems surfaced.

asw2012

Contributor
First off, I have had all of my drives physically numbered with a sharpie corresponding to the disks in the pool (0-7). I started to replace my drives by starting with da0. Offlined it, turned system off, unplugged power cord. Replaced physical disk, turned system back on, full boot into GUI, hit the replace disk, started resilvering. Took 20 or so hours no problems here. I've actually done this numerous times over the past 7 years to replace failing disks in the same pool, with no problems so far.

Then I did disk da2 only because it started throwing some checksum errors during the resilvering. First, cleared errors with zpool clear [pool name]. Then did same, offline, physical replace, turn system on, hit replace disk. Started, again to resilver. Then this one started to go into a resilver loop 3x. It would get up to 50%ish, then start over, get to 65% then 40% the 3rd time.....left it in this loop for over 3 days. Woke up one morning to see the progress, to find the following configuration as in screen shots. da7 disappeared.

It's currently in a resilver again, as I wrote this, 3.50% done now. I am not going to touch anything at this point. I need some help as I do not want the info lost. Most important stuff is backed up BEFORE I attempted this. But, I prefer not to lose the pool!!

1585683696650.png

1585683264185.png

1585683215474.png

asw2012

Contributor
I've been trying to offline the disk, but there's only a selection to replace. When I try to replace, I can't. Scratching my head here.....

1585714437633.png

asw2012

Contributor
Ok well, I found the problem. damn power cord/ribbon slipped off the disk while it was resilvering the first time around. ALL is good now... sheesh!!!

Philip Robar

Contributor
First off, the obligatory "Why are you still running an old version?" (-:

But, to the point, do you not have a spare port to use for the new drive while doing each drive upgrade? It should be faster and safer to do the upgrade with the smaller drive still in place. After each upgrade is finished just power down, remove the smaller drive, and then move the bigger drive to it's new home.

asw2012

Contributor
First off, the obligatory "Why are you still running an old version?" (-:
I am running an older version, but I don't think it's too old 11.2 U8? I just upgraded from 9.2 and am still trying to get used to the new GUI. When things went awry, I went back to the legacy interface because I was more accustomed to it. I am waiting to upgrade to 11.3 for a little longer.

But, to the point, do you not have a spare port to use for the new drive while doing each drive upgrade? It should be faster and safer to do the upgrade with the smaller drive still in place. After each upgrade is finished just power down, remove the smaller drive, and then move the bigger drive to it's new home.

I am currently using the extra ports for burning in the drives - and I did not even think about just replacing them while still plugged in (duh) Thanks!

jenksdrummer

Patron
I am running an older version, but I don't think it's too old 11.2 U8? I just upgraded from 9.2 and am still trying to get used to the new GUI. When things went awry, I went back to the legacy interface because I was more accustomed to it. I am waiting to upgrade to 11.3 for a little longer.

I am currently using the extra ports for burning in the drives - and I did not even think about just replacing them while still plugged in (duh) Thanks!

Not sure if you've seen it mentioned, but 11.3 does away with the legacy GUI entirely.

Dan Tudora

Patron

hello
IF your installation of YOUR NAS make the job, is not "too old"
I have a FreeNAS with 9.10, 1 with 11.8, 1 with 13.U1 and 1 for test with 12
Is not a "shame" to have a "old" software, that "old" do the job for year now. I love it
succes