Upgraded to TrueNAS 12.0, can't create or delete VM's

danjb

Dabbler
A few weeks ago I upgraded from a FreeNAS 11.3 to a TrueNAS-12.0-STABLE system. All seems good so far, except for VM's. I decided to experiment creating a VM shortly after upgrading, and it worked. I disabled the VM and left it. Today I went back to create a VM for real, but first decided to delete the single experimental VM. When I tried to delete the old VM, I get the error: Error creating VM. [EFAULT] Failed to connect to libvirt. Here is the stack trace:
Code:
Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 137, in call_method
    result = await self.middleware._call(message['method'], serviceobj, methodobj, params, app=self,
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1191, in _call
    return await methodobj(*prepared_call.args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/service.py", line 471, in delete
    rv = await self.middleware._call(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1191, in _call
    return await methodobj(*prepared_call.args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 973, in nf
    return await f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm.py", line 1448, in do_delete
    await self.middleware.call('vm.ensure_libvirt_connection')
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1233, in call
    return await self._call(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1202, in _call
    return await self.run_in_executor(prepared_call.executor, methodobj, *prepared_call.args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1106, in run_in_executor
    return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/utils/io_thread_pool_executor.py", line 25, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm.py", line 1494, in ensure_libvirt_connection
    raise CallError('Failed to connect to libvirt')
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] Failed to connect to libvirt

I tried this in a different browser as well to make sure it wasn't cache issues. I then decided to just ignore the experiment VM, and create the one I wanted. Unfortunately, when I do that, I get the exact same error, but where the stack trace above says delete the create stack trace says create.

Any idea how to get past this? Can I deal with VM's from the command line instead of the GUI in case there's something wrong with the GUI holding this up?

danjb

Dabbler
Hard rebooted TrueNAS (painful), and now I can delete / create VM's. I already have done a Linux VM, and fought my way past the UEFI shell by direct loading the grub loader file. Now trying to do a Windows VM and haven't gotten the ISO boot media to load. VirtualBox on Debian loads the same ISO file just fine. Sad that TrueNAS has to struggle so. Off to search the forums!