Upgraded to 9.2.1.1 and CIFS Service Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBlujeans

Dabbler
I have completed an upgrade from 9.1.1 to 9.2.1.1 and I am having issues starting CIFS. I installed the upgrade from both the GUI and cd iso. I also tried the upgrade install and complete new install along with factory reset. I'm not worried about retaining my configuration, I can figure that out and it helps my learning curve. I have successfully installed a couple of prior upgrades over the past couple of years, but this one is challenging. I am able to create a CIFS share, but when I turn on the plug-in it flashes a message "the service could not be started." I have attached the log below and appreciate your help.

Feb 21 20:13:54 freenas generate_smb4_conf.py: [common.pipesubr:58] Popen()ing: zfs list -H -o mountpoint,name
Feb 21 20:13:54 freenas generate_smb4_conf.py: [common.pipesubr:58] Popen()ing: zfs list -H -o mountpoint
Feb 21 20:13:54 freenas generate_smb4_conf.py: [common.pipesubr:58] Popen()ing: /usr/local/bin/pdbedit -d 0 -i smbpasswd:/tmp/tmp4dILrt -e tdbsam:/var/etc/private/passdb.tdb -s /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf
Feb 21 20:13:54 freenas notifier: winbindd not running? (check /var/run/samba/winbindd.pid).
Feb 21 20:13:54 freenas notifier: smbd not running? (check /var/run/samba/smbd.pid).
Feb 21 20:13:54 freenas notifier: nmbd not running? (check /var/run/samba/nmbd.pid).
Feb 21 20:13:54 freenas notifier: Performing sanity check on Samba configuration: FAILED

Wade

Contributor
i think switching the share permissions from unix to windows worked for me then you can switch it back to unix if you want to and the cifs will still be working...

go to the cifs data set, its under permissions, and the selection is under "Type of ACL"

i think i also tried changing permissions of the .samba4, im sorry i don't remember exactly what i did to get it working but check you data set permissions

also consider, if you did a factory reset i bilieve it broke all of your associations of jails, datasets, etc, so if you didnt detatch you raid you wont have to make a volume but you will have to re associate your data sets so to speak if that makes sense

oma noob tryning to find my way, but hope that helps you a little

JBlujeans

Dabbler
Thanks I appreciate it, I will try that. I was also curious whether the jails and the underlying snapshots are related to the reconstruction of the raid. I don't mind deleting the jails and recreating if that would help, but I'm not sure I understand what happens if I delete the snapshots contained within the jail.

JBlujeans

Dabbler
I did play around with the types of ACL and I cannot get around the broken samba issue. I have managed to get into the raid via NFS so I have learned a new technique, but that is a little too technical for the rest of the family. If there isn't a direction, I'll make another backup and then begin deleting the jails and see if that helps. I figured there would be an easier way to redo the configuration without having to rebuild the raid. It seems a bit crazy that I would have to rebuild the raid simply because the configuration has issues, but this is a learning experience!

Status
Not open for further replies.