SOLVED Upgrade to TrueNAS and ran into troubles and more troubles

cere19

Cadet
  • Supermicro X9-SCM-F
  • Intel Xeon E3 1230
  • (2) Kingston 8GB 2Rx8 PC3-12800E-11-12-E3
  • PNY CS900 120GB 2.5 Sata III Internal Solid State Drive for Boot and same for Jail
  • (2) Seagate 3TB Ironwolf for storage used as a mirror of each other
  • Just using the Network card on the motherboard
I had built my FreeNAS system roughly 4 years ago got it up and running but then did nothing with it. My dad's NAS went out so I let him borrow it. Anyways I decided to get it going to backup my pictures and other personal files and I was having troubles. I couldn't get into the Web GUI, I tried getting into the boot with a monitor and keyboard but it would blue screen. Turns out there was some Supermicro problem where if it was after 2020 it wouldn't load. Solution I read was to take the battery out of the motherboard which I did and now was able to get into the boot menu. Still couldn't get to the web GUI so I thought I don't have anything on it so I'll just fresh install straight to TrueNAS which I get it up to the screen with 11 options but still can't get to the Web GUI. After spending all day on it yesterday I realized at the end that I was original trying to use the IPMI port, when I use the IPMI port I get to the Supermicro login screen but ADMIN/ADMIN doesn't work. I'm thinking I lost the drivers to the motherboard when I pulled the battery, I don't have the install CD and can't for the life of me figure out how to get the drivers loaded onto the motherboard so that I can connect to the LAN1 port and get to the Web GUI then start working on the TrueNAS. I built 3 computers and didn't have computer problems, I was able to figure out those issues on my own. I assembled this TrueNAS with the help of someone off this site that steered me towards the hardware to purchase off ebay that would work good. It worked for FreeNAS but life got busy with the family and now I'm over my head. I've searched the site but didn't find something like this, I'm sorry if there's been this same question has been asked before.

Thanks

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
If you have a successful installation presenting the 11-option console menu, you just need to enable and IP the LAN1 port to get the web UI up.

ConsoleSetupMenu.png

Select option 1 to configure your NIC. You'll get something like this:

Code:
Enter an option from 1-12: 1
1) em0
Select an interface (q to quit): 1
Remove the current settings of this interface? (This causes a momentary disconnec
tion of the network.) (y/n) n
Configure interface for DHCP? (y/n) n
Configure IPv4? (y/n) y
Interface name:     (press enter, the name can be blank)
Several input formats are supported
Example 1 CIDR Notation:
    192.168.1.1/24
Example 2 IP and Netmask separate:
    IP: 192.168.1.1
    Netmask: 255.255.255.0, or /24 or 24
IPv4 Address: 192.168.1.108/24
Saving interface configuration: Ok
Configure IPv6? (y/n) n
Restarting network: ok

The web user interface is at
http://192.168.1.108

Afterwards, select option 4 to set the default router, and option 6 to configure your DNS server(s). You should be able to get into the UI at that point.

With your board, you'll probably see interfaces em0 and em1 for LAN1 and LAN2.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
With more recent Supermicro gear the IPMI password is not ADMIN anymore but individual per board. There should be a sticker on the board with the password. I don't know if this was already the case for any boards of the X9 generation. My oldest ones are X10. I have two boards with that feature. And of course everything you buy now probably works that way.

cere19

Cadet
Samuel thanks, I had tried most of that but not all. I tried all of it and still nothing. I tried sending a ping from my computers cmd to the truenas but nothing, does this mean that my motherboard doesn't have the drivers installed for the LAN anymore? If so does anyone know how to reload the drivers without the disk? I tried making a DOS Usb last night but I couldn't move the files to it, it kept saying I don't have permissions but the user account was an admin

Patrick I had looked online and X9 was still ADMIN/ADMIN they started the individual password on the X10's

Redcoat

MVP
I have two of these boards running well - be happy to try and help you get yours to same state.

Your need to get the latest BIOS version from the Supermicro site of you don't have it already - it's release version 2.3a. Go to the product page on the SM site, select "update your bios" from the list of options, download
X9SCM1_106.zip
and extract the files from the zip. You system will hang on boot when entering setup with system date year 2021 or later if you don't make this update.

(I really doubt that you need the original system disk, but if you do it can be found from the same menu at "Download Driver CD").

Get a copy of Freedos at http://www.freedos.org/download/ and put it on a USB stick, also copy the extracted files from the zip to it.

Put a CMOS battery back in your server motherboard, connect up a monitor and a keyboard and power up your server.

Use the <Delete> key to bring up the BIOS menu. Look for the existing BIOS version - if it's R2.00 or higher, you will use the batch file AMI_2.BAT to updatye your BIOS. If it happens to be R1.1a or lower , you'll use AMI_1. BAT. Follow the instructions in the downloaded readme file to update your BIOS using the Freedos stick and the downloaded files.

After you have updated your BIOS, reboot your server, update your boot drive selection as necessary and load up your desired TrueNAS version.

With resepct to IPMI access, sounds like the PW was probably changed - once you are up and running again you can investigate the various suggested methods for resetting it.

Last edited:

cere19

Cadet
Thank you Redcoat that is exactly what I needed I am now able to login on the GUI!!!!

Redcoat

MVP
Glad you are up and running!