Upgrade then HW replace, or vice versa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
Hi!

I have a small dilemma here and i'd like to share it with all of you :D ^^

So, i have MSI MoBo, G2020, Corsair RAM, 6x WD Green (3TB) in RAIDZ2 + 1x WD 1TB as UFS and i am running FreeNAS 8.3.1.
- RAIDZ2 is just a storage pool for periodic backups and archived files
- 1TB UFS is the disk where plugins resides and also where the Transmission Download directory is.

I have Supermicro X10SL7-F, i3-4130 and pair of the ECC Kingston on the way to my place as an replacement of the parts above. Since the MoBo is based on new chipset, i will also need to upgrade FreeNAS to 9.x version (i would do that anyway). Also i will be using on-board SAS2 controller flashed into IT mode.

I'd like to stick with the storages which i have, but since plugin system in FreeNAS 9 requires ZFS, i will need to trash the whole UFS and create ZFS partition.

And, i need to decide what is the better approach ...
a) Upgrade FreeNAS on the actual hardware, then replace parts, wipe that 1TB disk and re-install Plugin system on ZFS.
b) Just shut down the NAS, replace parts, wipe the USB flash, install new FreeNAS and auto-import ZFS pool + do the UFS->ZFS replacement. My system is not so modified (yet), so setting all things again will not eat so much time.

Thanks!

HolyK

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
And one bonus question ...
I'd like to test GELI encryption, but i don't trust it 100% (yet) and also i don't have enough space where i could temporarily store all of the data from actual pool to be able to destroy and re-create new one as an encrypted drive. So i'd like to test it on that single 1TB drive, which i will be using for plugins. If something will happen with this 1TB pool, i will not loose any important files ...
So, are there any catches which i am not aware of? Intel 4130 is supporting AES-NI, so this is not a issue.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'd probabbly do option B just to preclude any possibility of database problems being carried forward. It shouldn't be a problem normally,but that's the only difference I see between option a and b.

Status
Not open for further replies.