Tunefs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mailstorm

Dabbler
Earlier I asked why FreeNAS decided to knock 200GB of space away from my HDD. And now I know why. (If you don't know, it's just how UFS is, it takes 8% or 10% by default.)

I found the way to lower that space taken by UFS, tunefs (the exact command and syntax I'd use is: tunefs -m 6) . While reading up on the command, it says lowering the % will have an impact on performance. Anybody have any idea how much it would? And also, will I lose my date if I do that command? I don't need super performance, I just need storage for videos and music. That's it.

Please don't say any of the following:
Use ZFS
UFS is bad
If you can't use ZFS, don't use FreeNAS
Why are you using UFS?
Upgrade your system

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So you don't want to hear anything except your answer?

You realize that all of those answers that you don't want to hear are more reasonable than you realize. Especially since UFS support is removed from FreeNAS 9.3. So you need to either:

1. Upgrade your hardware so you can stay on an OS that will see security fixes applied when they come (not if). This obviously means ZFS too.
2. Find another OS to use because you don't want to do #1.

That's all. Good luck.

Mailstorm

Dabbler
Good job on doing exactly what I didn't want to read. A+ effort on answering my question.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I don't think you guys know how to read.

I don't think you know how to read the forum rules either. Your point?

A total of probably 10 people here use UFS. So if you think you're going to get an answer that you want from here, you got another thing coming.

If you can't handle the fact that what you are doing is going to, very soon, be unsupported, go with it. I don't post for my benefit and I found that providing you with some food for thought was more beneficial than not posting.

And I was in the process of looking for the answer so I could test it on my VM and provide an answer.. but I've now totally lost interest thanks to your attitude.

Good luck.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I don't think you guys know how to read.

Let me give you some advice for life:

• Do not insult the people who can help you, because they won't want to help you.
  • If you don't want to hear honest answers, pay someone to follow you around all day and repeat your last words.
  • If someone tells you something is a bad idea, you should listen. Again, Yes-men are fashion accessories, not consultants.
  • Defaults were chosen by someone who probably understands the product (UFS) better than you do. People who probably did their research and benchmarks decided to sacrifice a non-trivial amount of available space - that oughtta tell you not to mess with things without properly examining them.

Mlovelace

Guru
Please don't say any of the following:
Use ZFS
UFS is bad
If you can't use ZFS, don't use FreeNAS
Why are you using UFS?
Upgrade your system

It sounds like you should be running NAS4Free (instead of your mouth) as they support UFS and don't seem to be moving away from it. Also, they have lower hardware requirements which might be more in-line with what you're wanting, since you are already running UFS.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It sounds like you should be running NAS4Free (instead of your mouth) as they support UFS and don't seem to be moving away from it. Also, they have lower hardware requirements which might be more in-line with what you're wanting, since you are already running UFS.

I'm gonna have to perma-ban you Mlovelace. That is not an acceptable answer because his original post said not to tell him what he doesn't want to hear. /tongueincheek

Mailstorm

Dabbler
Let me give you some advice for life:

• Do not insult the people who can help you, because they won't want to help you.
  • If you don't want to hear honest answers, pay someone to follow you around all day and repeat your last words.
  • If someone tells you something is a bad idea, you should listen. Again, Yes-men are fashion accessories, not consultants.
  • Defaults were chosen by someone who probably understands the product (UFS) better than you do. People who probably did their research and benchmarks decided to sacrifice a non-trivial amount of available space - that oughtta tell you not to mess with things without properly examining them.
I don't need to ask people on a forum for help. It's just more convenient then reading and doing trial and error. Changing the value just says performance will drop, it isn't like changing it by 1% will cause critical system errors or self-destruct.

I tried NAS4Free, not a fan of it.

I don't think you know how to read the forum rules either. Your point?
If you are referring to these rules https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/forum-rules.22553/, then I don't see how this topic broke any of those rules (Except maybe the arrogance one) . Just because something is soon-to-be unsupported, doesn't mean you stop support for it. If the newer FreeNAS was out, I probably wouldn't be posting about UFS here.

But anyways, I got my answer. No need for this topic anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.