Upgrade network switch or use link aggregation

gregoirefra

Cadet
Hey all,

So I feel like this is completely dependent on my use case but what would you think is better between using a single 2.5G nic or 2 nic in link aggregation. My motherboard has both types of network ports on it but my current network switch is only able to do 1G connection but can do LACP so I was wondering if I was better off upgrading my switch or simply using both the 2.5G and 1G nic in aggregation.

I'm currently leaning more towards the link aggregation route since it would cost less obviously has I already have all the required hardware but also because I feel I would benefit more from it since I have a lot of other computers connecting to my NAS. My understanding is that link aggregation is better in scenarios like mine where I have a lot of clients connecting to the system. Obviously, I know I would get slower speed than if I was to use the 2.5G

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You're aware that LACP is only useful with lots of clients, so that's a good start. Please do feel free to review this resource:

to see if any other questions or issues arise.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Agreed 100%. Aggregation will only lead to 100% aggravation unless you know what you’re doing.

Upgrade the switch, even something as simple as running a 10GbE DAC to a SFP+ port on a inexpensive switch will give you much better performance than dealing with multiple interfaces juggling a big bunch of balls. It’s not to say it cannot work, but how much is your time worth?

Also, as jgreco noted, aggregating does not increase the trunk capacity for an individual user beyond that of the interface they are on already. So a link aggregation of 1GbE connections still only yields ~120MB/s max per user. (But more users will potentially get something close to that speed).

gregoirefra

Cadet
Make sense, thanks for the confirmation. I think I'll still give aggregation a shot just to be able to say I tried but clearly, a new switch and network card have made it to my shortlist of things to buy soon