Updating OpenSSL in jail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClayM

Explorer
I seem to be running a very old version of openssl in one of my jails and I'd like to update it - is there a way to do this? It doesn't seem like it's install as part of the normal packages.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The system's normal version of SSL is normally 0.9.8za or zd or something like that; 0.9.8zg is current. If you're merely looking at the numbers and thinking "wow 0.9.8 sounds old since I've seen 1.0.2" or maybe "gee I'd like that to be 1.0.2d", you can't really fix that, the base system has stuff that it needs SSL for, and trying to upgrade that in-place breaks many things. Leave it alone.

You're certainly welcome to download OpenSSL of whatever version you'd prefer and install it in /usr/local. There should also be a port available for that. Recompile anything in your jail that you'd like to use the new version of SSL and it is likely to pick it up.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Also make sure you add the following line to /etc/make.conf before you compile your software so it will use the port version.

Code:
WITH_OPENSSL_PORT=yes

ClayM

Explorer
The system's normal version of SSL is normally 0.9.8za or zd or something like that; 0.9.8zg is current. If you're merely looking at the numbers and thinking "wow 0.9.8 sounds old since I've seen 1.0.2" or maybe "gee I'd like that to be 1.0.2d"

The version in the jail I'm running is older than what's found in a newly created jail.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
run the following on the old jail and it should update it.
Code:
pkg update && pkg upgrade

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
How old is that jail? Was it created under an older version of FreeNAS?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Well that would explain the older version of openssl. Only way to fix that, at least from what I've read (I'm no expert by any stretch), is to recreate the jail and destroy the old one. There do seem to be ways to update jails from the FreeBSD base OS under certain circumstances but I'm not sure if that's possible with FreeNAS and Warden.

Sorry to open this again, I have a jail I created with FreeNAS 8.x and am running the latest 9.3 now. In the jail I have the latest openssl 1.0.2g running. But whenever I check my ssl status I seem to be running an older version of ssl, at least nginx doesn't revognize TLS1.1 and TLS1.0

This is bumming me out. Is there any way to tell nginx to use openssl from within the jail? If it isn't already, what's the problem then? recreating that jail will be really hard work, since it is a production system!
Or is it something I have to add to the sysctls in the jails configuration?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The base system isn't going to use the SSL from inside a jail. That doesn't make a lot of sense.

The stuff in the jail will use the SSL from that jail if it is properly configured to do so. The usual mistake is that it hasn't been configured to do so, or that it may need to be re-linked in order to get the newer version incorporated.

The base system isn't going to use the SSL from inside a jail. That doesn't make a lot of sense.

The stuff in the jail will use the SSL from that jail if it is properly configured to do so. The usual mistake is that it hasn't been configured to do so, or that it may need to be re-linked in order to get the newer version incorporated.
Well, how do I do that? I want the jail system to use the openssl installed in the jail. But it seems to be using the openssl from the base system. (so the reverse of what you thought I meant)

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You have to install openssl and nginx from ports and enable the openssl module in nginx. The package version of nginx is pre compiled to use the base openssl version.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Yes and nginx as well. Make sure you make the change to make.conf listed above as well before you install nginx so it will be compiled against the port version of openssl.

Oh boy, well, that will be an interesting weekend then. hah!

I'll update my findings here once I got around to it. If/when I was successfull, I already wish to thank you!

I finally got nginx using TLS 1.2!
I had to edit my nginx.conf file like this

Code:
server {
    listen 443 ssl spdy;
#    listen 443 ssl http2;
#     listen [::]:443 ssl spdy;
#     listen [::]:443 ssl http2;
    server_name example.com;

ssl_certificate /path/to/certificate/example.com.crt;
    ssl_certificate_key /path/to/private/key/private.key;

I did not have the "spdy" enabled. If spdy won't work for you, try the "http2" instead. If that doesn't work, pkg update and pkg upgrade and try again. If all this doesn't work either, I don't know as well.
There was no recompiling needed and I still use the packages installed by pkg. I hope this helps. I now get an A+ on https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Status
Not open for further replies.