Updating from 9.10.2-U3 to 11-STABLE, with active and important Jails, any problems??

Status
Not open for further replies.

n3mmr

Explorer
I run 9.10.2-u3, right now.

I have three active Jails that are very important:
One running the best DLNA server I know, minimserver. The extra other sw there is openjdk8.
One running a large perl thingie for analyzing audio.
The third one running mrtg, installed entirely by pkg install mrtg and pkg install apache24. This one has a private ethernet interface, i e vimage unchecked and static address and gateway.

Should I expect to see these jails remain functional across the upgrade???
Are there any extra precautions I should take?

n3mmr

Explorer
Yes, I realize that.
Sorry, if this offends anyone!

The questions ARE a little different, this here thread is more specifically for the 9.10 to 11 upgrade, the other one is about what happens to the software inside an old jail when upgrading.

Does having a jail cause a snapshot to appear, so that the old software remains behind the upgraded version??

Is it then a good idea to rebuild and reinstall all jails from scratch??

XStrafer

Cadet
I would also be happy if someone would answer... I have as well 9.10 with 3 jails. and wondering what could go wrong if I would go with upgrade.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Your jails should continue to funtion just fine. Personally I would wait a few months for 11.1 to come out as the jail managemnt is being rewritten for iocage. It is recommended to rebuild your jails after the upgrade to keep them current.

Scharbag

Guru
I was going to take the FN11 plunge but I think I will wait as you suggest so that I only have to rebuild my jails once.

Cheers,

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

saikee

Explorer
I had a go at the V11 twice. First trial nearly lost the zpool and needed experts here to recover the 14TB data.

Just finishing off my second trial after spending a day on it. Couldn't get the Plex plugin working with new boot disk and new Vdev (copied from another FreeNAS box).

My verdict of V11 is that it is no where near as robust as the V9.10 which I keep running it untouched as my main FreeNAS.

The V11 seems to have to update the vdev which when I have a bit of time will submit it to the V9.10 to see if it could read it or not. The update process is claimed irreversible so my trial vdev may be only good for V11.

I just went from 9.10.2-u5 to 11 and had no issues so far. Not worried about updating the pool yet since it really doesn't add anything that is super important to me. Did create a new jail to throw Plex on and goof around with the latest version but it hasn't been too difficult and the old jail that is still running plex around version 1.3.3 is still up and working just fine.

When 11.1 drops I will probably redo all my jails but thankfully the old ones still work just fine so as long as they continue to do so I am in no major rush to make changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.