Updated to btsync 2.0.105 and now it won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Rimer

Dabbler
Hello

As the title suggests, I have been running btsync for a while. Upgraded to paid version a couple of weeks ago and today saw the update to 2.0.105.

Once I updated, the plugin won't start. The jail it is in starts ok, but the little switch in Plugins/Installed won't change from Off to On.

Does anyone know where I might find any help for this? Where would the logs be hidden?

Thanks

Dan

FreeNAS 9.3
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1268L v3 @ 2.30GHz
16Gb ECC RAM
10x4Tb WD Red
4x2Tb WD Red

Dan Rimer

Dabbler
When the plugin is switched on, no error message appears. I just get the "waiting" animation for a couple of seconds.
When I restart the jail, I get the following logged in the terminal display:
Code:
Apr 26 15:22:22 freeNAS manage.py: [freeadmin.navtree:625] An error occurred while unserializing from http://192.168.x.x/plugins/btsync/2/_s/treemenu: No JSON object could be decoded

Dan Rimer

Dabbler
Well... I couldn't find any way of fixing it, so I did the following:
  1. shut down the jail that btsync was running in (btsync_1)
  2. installed an additional plugin for btsync (btsync_2)
  3. shut down the jail for btsync_2
  4. SSH into the freenas box and used the following command to copy the configuration of 1 to 2:
    Code:
    cd /jailroot/btsync_1/var/db/btsync
    cp -R * /jailroot/btsync_2/var/db/btsync

5. once that was complete, I set up new jail storage for btsync_2 with the same names as the old storage for btsync_1
  6. started the jail for btsync_2
once that was done, I found a couple of items had "Database Error" icons on them. These just needed deleting and adding again (to same location).

It's all working now!

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
can you try restarting the jail

OttRob

Cadet
I am having the same issue... restarting the jail didn't help... neither did Dan's suggestion (once it was copied, same problem)

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I am having the same issue... restarting the jail didn't help... neither did Dan's suggestion (once it was copied, same problem)
This has been happening to a lot of people lately and isn't specific to any plugin/PBI.
It is a miscommunication between freenas and the plugins middleware layer.

I can't personally reproduce this. I suspect it is some change in the jail networking that happened in the last few weeks.

OttRob

Cadet
Was easier in the end to just remove it all and start them all over from new. Grrrrr.......

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Was easier in the end to just remove it all and start them all over from new. Grrrrr.......
if you ever do that, save your /var/db/PLUGIN directory. restoring that would make everything run exactly as it did before.

qwertymodo

Contributor
Having the same issue here, plugin won't start. I'm really hoping I don't have to set everything up again from scratch, I had like 20 different mount points all set up with separate sync folders, which was before they instituted the stupid 10 folder limit (after promising they wouldn't take any free features away in the non-beta version), so I'm not sure if I even CAN set it up again or if it will limit the number of folders I can sync.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Having the same issue here, plugin won't start. I'm really hoping I don't have to set everything up again from scratch, I had like 20 different mount points all set up with separate sync folders, which was before they instituted the stupid 10 folder limit (after promising they wouldn't take any free features away in the non-beta version), so I'm not sure if I even CAN set it up again or if it will limit the number of folders I can sync.
Do you happen to access freenas through HTTPS? There's a bug related to HTTPS and certain plugins that I recently fixed.
The fix will be integrated into the next update to btsync.

And you can always work around the issue for now by enabling+starting btsync from the command line.
Code:
sysrc 'btsync_enable=YES'
service btsync start

qwertymodo

Contributor
Thank you for the workaround. I was aware of the treemenu error, but hadn't had a plugin fail to start because of it, so I continued to use HTTPS. I can confirm that accessing the WebGUI via HTTP DID WORK and I was able to start the plugin using the On/Off button in the GUI.

Edit:

# sysrc 'btsync_enable=YES'
btsync_enable: -> YES
# service btsync start
btsync does not exist in /etc/rc.d or the local startup
directories (/usr/local/etc/rc.d)
#

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.