Update Plex Server on FreeNAS 11.3

Jedi940

Dabbler
I installed the plex pass version of the plugin and then later realized that was the beta channel. Is it possible to switch back to the regular release or do I need to stay on the plexpass chain?

elorimer

Contributor
I've deleted and reinstalled the plex plugin several times over the last few months without issue; I don't have a lot invested in metadata so it really only takes a few minutes. Others seem to have more invested.

At the moment I've installed plex in a jail (not the plug in), with the metadata in a separate dataset, with my plexpass subscription.

I'm beyond a novice here. You can't be a novice with 17 10tb WD reds installed, so please, teach me!

Jedi940

Dabbler
lol, the 10TB drives are in the server I manage at work. My personal server is where I'm messing with plugins. I have reinstalled the plex server before but for some reason, I have an issue where freenas remembers the name I used so each time for the jail so I have to name it something different. I was hoping to not have to start from scratch again and just update the current plugin.

elorimer

Contributor
Yes, I don't know why that is. You can change the name of the jail afterwards, but that breaks plex.

kflaming

Cadet
Leave the jail running and ssh into FreeNas. Once you do that, type "jls" into the command line. Your running jails will have ID numbers. Whatever jail ID your plex is running on, run the command "jexec 4 tcsh" (Change the number to whatever jail ID your plex is on). This will get you into your plex root. From there, run the command portsnap extract (might need to run "portsnap fetch" first, if you havent used ports before). Once thats done scrolling and loading a ton of ports, run the command "portsnap fetch update". After that, command "cd /usr/ports/multimedia/plexmediaserver-plexpass" to get you into the directory you need to be in. Now run the command "make deinstall" Then finally run this command "cd /usr/ports/multimedia/plexmediaserver-plexpass/ && make install clean" This will install the latest version of plex. If your not running plexpass version of plex, just remove that text from the commands. Restart the jail for the changes to take effect. This is just a quick run down of how i do it. Works for me, others may do it differently.

Tried your solution. Was all working up "make install clean" Then got this collection of errors:
---------

root@PlexServer:/usr/ports/multimedia/plexmediaserver # make install clean
===> Building/installing dialog4ports as it is required for the config dialog
===> Cleaning for dialog4ports-0.1.6
/!\ ERROR: /!\

Ports Collection support for your FreeBSD version has ended, and no ports are
guaranteed to build on this system. Please upgrade to a supported release.

No support will be provided if you silence this message by defining
ALLOW_UNSUPPORTED_SYSTEM.

*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[3]: stopped in /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/dialog4ports
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[2]: stopped in /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/dialog4ports
===> Options unchanged
/!\ ERROR: /!\

Ports Collection support for your FreeBSD version has ended, and no ports are
guaranteed to build on this system. Please upgrade to a supported release.

No support will be provided if you silence this message by defining
ALLOW_UNSUPPORTED_SYSTEM.

*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[1]: stopped in /usr/ports/multimedia/plexmediaserver
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/multimedia/plexmediaserver

-------------

Any suggestions on how to correct? Or get back to where it was before?

G8One2

Patron
This error I believe, is because you're attempting to install a version of PLEX that's not compatible with your version of FreeNas / TrueNas. Kind of like how some programs arent compatible with older versions of Windows. Its the same thing here.

G8One2

Patron
Also, I think "ports" are being dropped for newer releases of TrueNas, and will only be supporting pkg's. Pretty sure I read that somewhere recently

What does this exactly mean? I have installed the plugin which runs in a jail. What is the difference?
in the particular case of plex, not much, the file structure for the plugin and the jail are different I also think the plugin installs an older version

wanstronian

Dabbler
This error I believe, is because you're attempting to install a version of PLEX that's not compatible with your version of FreeNas / TrueNas. Kind of like how some programs arent compatible with older versions of Windows. Its the same thing here.

Sorry, late to the party on this one. I just tried to update Plex and came up against this same problem. I now have no Plex installation (having deinstalled) and not sure how to proceed.

Do I have to update FreeNAS? I'm still on 11.2 (if it ain't broke, etc). If I go to system update and click to refresh the trains, I get:

HTTPSConnectionPool(host='update-master.ixsystems.com', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /FreeNAS/trains.txt (Caused by SSLError(SSLError("bad handshake: Error([('SSL routines', 'ssl3_get_server_certificate', 'certificate verify failed')],)",),)): Automatic update check failed. Please check system network settings.

This makes me extremely nervous - my fear is that I try to proceed with a FreeNAS update, it fails and I don't even have basic file serving capabilities.

Can anybody point me in the right direction to proceed?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
The only right direction is to run supported software. The only supported FreeNAS/TrueNAS CORE version is 13. Then you can proceed to create a standard jail running FreeBSD 13.2 and install Plex in that one.

wanstronian

Dabbler
The only right direction is to run supported software. The only supported FreeNAS/TrueNAS CORE version is 13. Then you can proceed to create a standard jail running FreeBSD 13.2 and install Plex in that one.
Well yes, that's what I'm trying to do. I'm asking for help in moving from 11.2 to the latest version, given that my FreeNAS isn't allowing me to select a release train.

Do I just do a manual release and hope for the best? Can I go straight from 11.2 to 13 or do I need to go through 11.3, 12, 12.1 etc?

Currently I'm seeing this:
1697135627746.png

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You would need to go through at least every major version if I am not mistaken.

How complex is your configuration? Most important point to consider is that your storage pool is always safe and can easily be imported in a current version of TrueNAS. So instead of trying - and possibly failing - all the single upgrade steps, consider doing a blank install of 13.0 and importing your pool. Then recreate your users and shares etc.

Possible?

wanstronian

Dabbler
You would need to go through at least every major version if I am not mistaken.

How complex is your configuration? Most important point to consider is that your storage pool is always safe and can easily be imported in a current version of TrueNAS. So instead of trying - and possibly failing - all the single upgrade steps, consider doing a blank install of 13.0 and importing your pool. Then recreate your users and shares etc.

Possible?
Yes, that's a good point. I need to read up on how the storage pool is maintained and imported. But it might be fun to do a clean install. My setup is pretty simple, but I've got some user accounts and shares that are out of date.

Thanks for the help.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Do a scrub and an export of your pool. Do a fresh installation to your boot drive - or switch your boot drive with a new one, just to have a backup.
Then in the UI go to Storage > Pools > Add > Import, select your existing storage pool - done.

Do not upgrade your storage pool until you are 100% that you will keep running TN 13. If you upgrade the pool, there is no going back.

exeter_acres

Explorer
Leave the jail running and ssh into FreeNas. Once you do that, type "jls" into the command line. Your running jails will have ID numbers. Whatever jail ID your plex is running on, run the command "jexec 4 tcsh" (Change the number to whatever jail ID your plex is on). This will get you into your plex root. From there, run the command portsnap extract (might need to run "portsnap fetch" first, if you havent used ports before). Once thats done scrolling and loading a ton of ports, run the command "portsnap fetch update". After that, command "cd /usr/ports/multimedia/plexmediaserver-plexpass" to get you into the directory you need to be in. Now run the command "make deinstall" Then finally run this command "cd /usr/ports/multimedia/plexmediaserver-plexpass/ && make install clean" This will install the latest version of plex. If your not running plexpass version of plex, just remove that text from the commands. Restart the jail for the changes to take effect. This is just a quick run down of how i do it. Works for me, others may do it differently.
Digging up old post.. Trying to manually update Plex.. and this guide was worked for me in the past... but May have still been on FreeNas at the time.. now on latest Truenas and all works until Make Install Clean.. here is what I get

make: "/usr/ports/Mk/bad.port.mk" line 1214 UNAME_r (13.1-RELEASE-p7) and OSVERSION (1104001) do not agree on major version number

Nay ideas?
Or a better way to update Plex.. installed in a jail and not the plug in

Thanks

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Assuming you run a supported version of FreeBSD in your jail, i.e. 13.2 - which probably needs TrueNAS 13 as the host - you can just pkg upgrade. I never build from ports.

exeter_acres

Explorer
Assuming you run a supported version of FreeBSD in your jail, i.e. 13.2 - which probably needs TrueNAS 13 as the host - you can just pkg upgrade. I never build from ports.
So... running latest Truenas.. but it appears that my FreeBSD was v11.4 so will look at updating that first...
Trying to find a quick guide to do so...

wanstronian

Dabbler
Do a scrub and an export of your pool. Do a fresh installation to your boot drive - or switch your boot drive with a new one, just to have a backup.
Then in the UI go to Storage > Pools > Add > Import, select your existing storage pool - done.

Do not upgrade your storage pool until you are 100% that you will keep running TN 13. If you upgrade the pool, there is no going back.
Just a quick update - added an SSD boot drive and some new case fans (well, while I had it apart...)

Installed TrueNAS, and it's working like a charm. Only thing left is to configure my BackBlaze task.

Thanks for your help!