Update Plex Server on FreeNAS 11.3

macmuchmore

Explorer
I have installed Plex on my FreeNAS 11.3 server and it is working well. However, Plex is indicating there is a server update and to install it manually (of course, as it should be). I have not been able to find online any guides on how to do this. Could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks - any help will be appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 6.59.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 6.59.31 PM.png
    739.1 KB · Views: 1,688

macmuchmore

Explorer
Oh - and Plex is intalled in a Jail. I am not using the plugin.

G8One2

Patron
Leave the jail running and ssh into FreeNas. Once you do that, type "jls" into the command line. Your running jails will have ID numbers. Whatever jail ID your plex is running on, run the command "jexec 4 tcsh" (Change the number to whatever jail ID your plex is on). This will get you into your plex root. From there, run the command portsnap extract (might need to run "portsnap fetch" first, if you havent used ports before). Once thats done scrolling and loading a ton of ports, run the command "portsnap fetch update". After that, command "cd /usr/ports/multimedia/plexmediaserver-plexpass" to get you into the directory you need to be in. Now run the command "make deinstall" Then finally run this command "cd /usr/ports/multimedia/plexmediaserver-plexpass/ && make install clean" This will install the latest version of plex. If your not running plexpass version of plex, just remove that text from the commands. Restart the jail for the changes to take effect. This is just a quick run down of how i do it. Works for me, others may do it differently.

Last edited:

G8One2

Patron

ddaenen1

Patron
Oh - and Plex is intalled in a Jail. I am not using the plugin.

What does this exactly mean? I have installed the plugin which runs in a jail. What is the difference?

ddaenen1

Patron
Read the fine manual ;) : Plugins, Jails

Not blonde and read the manual many times, but still not getting what the difference is. If you install the Plex plugin, it installs it in a jail, correct? Is there another way to install Plex in a jail than via the plugin?

G8One2

Patron
Yes, you can manually install plugins in jails without using the plug-in page.

ddaenen1

Patron
Yes, you can manually install plugins in jails without using the plug-in page.
OK, didn't know that. And what's the difference afterwards? Let's say i would want to update the plugin using FreshPorts as you described yesterday, does it matter how i installed the plugin?

G8One2

Patron
Doesn't matter how you install the plug in, I prefer to do the initial install with the plug in page only because it auto sets up the network config, I have no need to run Plex on any specific subnet or ip address. So I like using the plug in to initially install Plex, then I use FreshPorts to update and maintain the jail. Doing it this way allows me to run the latest Plex versions vs the quarterly updates the plug in gives you.

Fredda

Guru
Not blonde and read the manual many times, but still not getting what the difference is. If you install the Plex plugin, it installs it in a jail, correct? Is there another way to install Plex in a jail than via the plugin?
Hmm, not so sure how thoroughly you read it. The first paragraph of the plugin chapter pretty good outlines the difference between a jail and a plugin.

Updating a plugin with pkg is also not such a good idea, as all the changes you do will be thrown away when the plugin itself is updated.

ChaosBlades

Contributor
SSH into FreeNAS. Windows PowerShell (Right-Click Start Button) can do this out of the box. just type
ssh root@*FreeNASIP*

List your jails.
iocage list

find your plex jail and type
iocage console *plex jail name*

Change from quarterly to the latest repository.
mkdir -p /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos
echo 'FreeBSD: {url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest"}' > /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf

Update.
pkg update
pkg upgrade

restart plex service. Add -plexpass if using that version.
service plexmediaserver restart
service plexmediaserver-plexpass restart

Done. Sometimes it can take a few days for the latest repository to get the update. You could also look into the PMS_Updater script on Github.

ChaosBlades

Contributor

KTM_888

Cadet
Leave the jail running and ssh into FreeNas. Once you do that, type "jls" into the command line. Your running jails will have ID numbers. Whatever jail ID your plex is running on, run the command "jexec 4 tcsh" (Change the number to whatever jail ID your plex is on). This will get you into your plex root. From there, run the command portsnap extract (might need to run "portsnap fetch" first, if you havent used ports before). Once thats done scrolling and loading a ton of ports, run the command "portsnap fetch update". After that, command "cd /usr/ports/multimedia/plexmediaserver-plexpass" to get you into the directory you need to be in. Now run the command "make deinstall" Then finally run this command "cd /usr/ports/multimedia/plexmediaserver-plexpass/ && make install clean" This will install the latest version of plex. If your not running plexpass version of plex, just remove that text from the commands. Restart the jail for the changes to take effect. This is just a quick run down of how i do it. Works for me, others may do it differently.
Thank you, it did work for me.

geoffwhere

Contributor
I get that FreeNAS and its plug ins (viz Plex) are extremely functional and powerful tools.
What I don't get is that novices like myself and others in this thread when requesting help to perform house keeping tasks, like updating a version of Plex, seerm to be summarily thrown to the wolves. That's not meant to be either a criticism or complaint, just an observation that may not resonate with those who take to these Linux admin or maintenance tasks like ducks to water.
I'm a bit like ddaenen1, not blonde and have tried reading the manual for guidance on such jobs, but when confronted with instructions like "ssh into FreeNas", my palms immediately begin to sweat and my heart sinks. Because I have no idea how to do that 'ssh into FreeNAS' thing.
I know there's a menu item on the FreeNAS dashboard call SSH Connections, but is that where one does 'ssh into FreeNAS'? And if so, what damage can I do here if I get something wrong, given that I don't know the step by step process to complete the update? And Linux syntax is like me learning the Cyrillic alphabet.
I've been able to click on the Plex plugin in FreeNAS to download an update (tar) file to my PC, but is it then just a matter of clicking 'update' on the Plex Plugin?
Any guidance for a complete Linux/FreeNAS/Plex/plugin maintenance novice would be most appreciated.
Thanks and humbleness in copious amounts, in advance.

danb35

Hall of Famer
when confronted with instructions like "ssh into FreeNas", my palms immediately begin to sweat and my heart sinks. Because I have no idea how to do that 'ssh into FreeNAS' thing.
If seeing that phrase causes such severe symptoms that you're unable to read the next two sentences, you should perhaps check the dose on your anxiety medications--in the case you mentioned, those two sentences explained exactly how to do that.
given that I don't know the step by step process to complete the update?
That same post tells you precisely what to type to accomplish this.

If you're not comfortable with the command line, don't know anything about it, and don't have any interest or willingness to change either of those things, then just wait for an update to the plugin to be available, and click the "update" button in the GUI. And accept that your plugin won't be very up-to-date.

treboR2Robert

Dabbler

Thank you, worked a treat
:)