Up to 11.3 from 11.2 (orig 9.x). Blew plugins away. Want to keep shares - Convert datasets to ACL?

Chip Sprague

Dabbler
Hello,

I upgraded to 11.3 from 11.2 yesterday and blew away my plugins. I have a residual complicated SMB sharing - I'd like to preserve that structure/permissions. I only have two data sets. Jails and a big raidpool. Everything shared via SMB is on the raidpool.

All the guides for new plugin setup I've found want to use ACL. I can't figure out how to "convert" my existing set to ACL. Do I have to create a new dataset and move all the data over? Would I have to re-create all my permissions and shares in that scenario? 3/4 of my space is used so I don't have room to copy everything.

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I hope you mean from 11.3-U5 to 12.0... there is no 13.5 to my knowledge.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
There should be no need for a migration. Permissions should just work, but there are a few prominent youtube videos apparently that provide steps to totally break permissions on your server :/

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Nevermind. Apparently, I needed coffee too. No. There's no real need to move things over. If you have a group that already exists on your NAS that has permissions to your SMB shares in a way that you want it to, create a group with the same GID in your plugin jail, and make the service account the plugin uses (for example, plex), a member of that group in the jail. This involves a little more CLI work (normal FreeBSD stuff to make a group and add an existing user to a group), but it can totally avoid having to alter existing permissions.

Chip Sprague

Dabbler
Hey, thanks for the reply. Haven't been able to revisit this due to forum outages and local outages.

Step 1 - I already broke something. I created a mount point and the directory I mounted is no longer viewable from Windows. Other shares are. Somehow mounting that path broke access from Windows. That mount was the only thing I changed on that path. I'm up to TrueNAS 12 now, if that matters. I figured I'd go ahead and do that before reconfiguring all this stuff.