unrecoverable error of boot device

Status
Not open for further replies.

bravo444

Explorer
Dear Professionals;

I have had following error message. Actually, I've gotten this situation 3rd times. Whenever I get this error, I plugged USB device out which was failed one and tried to format it. After this, plugged it into the system again and "replaced USB". The mirror was started again. I checked with failed USB device itself, but the device was clean (no issue).

I am not sure why the USB device get this kind of error.

"The boot volume state is ONLINE: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error. An attempt was made to correct the error. Applications are unaffected."

The system information is as follows.

FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201605240427 (64fcd8e)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2700K CPU @ 3.50GHz
Mem:16072MB
HD: Western Digital x5 with Raid Z2
Boot device: USB3.0 Buffalo x2 ->I tried use USB2.0 also, but I got the same error

pschatz100

Guru
If this has happened three times and always the same device, then replace the USB stick. USB sticks are not very reliable, so when problems occur, just replace them. The fact that you can put the stick in another system and use it without error means nothing. Sometimes they begin to act badly as an OS device without failing completely.

At the end of the day, USB sticks are cheap compared to your data.

bravo444

Explorer
Hi,

Thanks for your quick response. Actually, I used different USB memory device and I got this error on each device.
At first, I tried to use USB2.0 Silcom power. Second, I used USB2.0 Transcend, and used USB3.0 Buffalo finally.
I got this error for all of them. In fact, I didn't find any errors like cluster error, corruption and so on.
Anyway, the device itself was no issue.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Try a cheap old SSD instead... Have you tested your RAM? Since your CPU doesn't support ECC, there may be an issue there. What Motherboard are you using? I quickly scanned for threads by you and it seems like you have had several past issues. I am assuming that whatever hardware you keep trying to use is not properly rated for FreeNas. At the end of the day, I think you should consider addressing that to avoid all these various issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.