Understanding the System Dataset Pool and it's Default Placement?

theprez

Explorer
Evening -

I just installed FreeNAS SCALE recently - and am impressed. Still getting the hang of things and didn't run into this before - probably because the server I was using didn't have encryption. This install does.

It appears I cannot use a passphrase because the system defaulted to placing the system dataset into the default pool. I'm trying to understand the following:

1) What exactly is the system dataset pool?
2) Was it placed onto the physical drives because I booted off a SD card and it was trying to conserve premature USB/SD Card wear? - I know that's not preferred to use USB/SD Cards, but have it mirrored and am not concerned.
3) Looks like I can go to System Settings -> Advanced -> Configure and point it back to the boot-pool, any advantage in doing that other than it allowing me to use a passphrase instead of a key? Or does keeping it as is help reduce writes to the SD card?

Said differently, it appears the system will automatically decrypt the drives and not prompt for a key or passphrase with this default configuration. If I can prompt to supply a key or enter a key with it like this (instead of a pass phrase) that works also but can't seem to find an option for that.

Thanks

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
What exactly is the system dataset pool?
Mostly the reporting and logging data used by the system. It's mounted in various paths under /var/db/system

Was it placed onto the physical drives because I booted off a SD card and it was trying to conserve premature USB/SD Card wear? - I know that's not preferred to use USB/SD Cards, but have it mirrored and am not concerned.
It's likely it was for exactly that purpose as USB boot pools were the norm many versions back when this was introduced... I guess it may be time for a revision of that, but for now, it seems it's good for you.

Looks like I can go to System Settings -> Advanced -> Configure and point it back to the boot-pool, any advantage in doing that other than it allowing me to use a passphrase instead of a key? Or does keeping it as is help reduce writes to the SD card?
You can do what you want, but know that you'll quickly burn out an SD card with the system dataset on it... although even without it, you're headed for trouble as you already state you're aware/not concerned.

If I can prompt to supply a key or enter a key with it like this (instead of a pass phrase) that works also but can't seem to find an option for that.
Perhaps check this thread out:

theprez

Explorer
Mostly the reporting and logging data used by the system. It's mounted in various paths under /var/db/system

It's likely it was for exactly that purpose as USB boot pools were the norm many versions back when this was introduced... I guess it may be time for a revision of that, but for now, it seems it's good for you.

You can do what you want, but know that you'll quickly burn out an SD card with the system dataset on it... although even without it, you're headed for trouble as you already state you're aware/not concerned.

Perhaps check this thread out:

Thanks for the detailed reply and link.

I moved the system dataset to the boot-device (SD Card) and observed the reporting for that particular disk - looks like about every 5 minutes or so something is written. So, now knowing that level of activity I'm now no longer ok with having the SD card in use as it's much higher than I was expecting.

I've purchased two SSD cards and plan to mirror those - I assume the easiest thing to do now is to Export/Disconnect my pool, reinstall TrueNAS SCALE to the SSD and then reimport my pool?

Thanks

sretalla