Unclear of where plex config and metadata is stored

chravis

Contributor
I have the PlexPass plugin installed and it is working. In fact, this is the second time I have had it working. I somehow managed to hose up my system and had to reinstall the plugin to get things back to normal again. Unfortunately, before all this happened, I had spent some time creating a few "Collections" in Plex and also fixing mismatched movie art. Now that I've reinstalled the plugin, I have lost those configurations.
I would like to backup that sort of information. I'm not really sure if you call it "configs" or "meta data" or what.
I already have a dataset mounted into the plugin. That dataset contains all the actual media, so I'm not worried about that.
Based on some other forums I've found, some people suggest doing something similar: create a dataset for configs and mount that into the plugin/jail. My problem is, I have no idea where that data is stored inside the jail. It seems every forum post I find has a different path based on a different version of either plex or Freenas.

Does anyone know for sure, in FreeNas 11.2, what folder or folders I would mount in order to get my configs and/or metadata onto a dataset so that if I have to reinstall the plugin again in the future I can just remount the folder/folders and not lose everything I spent time configuring and fixing?

Thanks so much for any of your help.

Spiceman

Dabbler
I have the PlexPass plugin installed and it is working. In fact, this is the second time I have had it working. I somehow managed to hose up my system and had to reinstall the plugin to get things back to normal again. Unfortunately, before all this happened, I had spent some time creating a few "Collections" in Plex and also fixing mismatched movie art. Now that I've reinstalled the plugin, I have lost those configurations.
I would like to backup that sort of information. I'm not really sure if you call it "configs" or "meta data" or what.
I already have a dataset mounted into the plugin. That dataset contains all the actual media, so I'm not worried about that.
Based on some other forums I've found, some people suggest doing something similar: create a dataset for configs and mount that into the plugin/jail. My problem is, I have no idea where that data is stored inside the jail. It seems every forum post I find has a different path based on a different version of either plex or Freenas.

Does anyone know for sure, in FreeNas 11.2, what folder or folders I would mount in order to get my configs and/or metadata onto a dataset so that if I have to reinstall the plugin again in the future I can just remount the folder/folders and not lose everything I spent time configuring and fixing?

Thanks so much for any of your help.
Tru this link: Where Is the Plex Media Server Data Directory Located

Last edited:

chravis

Contributor
@Spiceman - that is precisely why I'm confused. The Plex site says that for Freenas the location is
${JAIL_ROOT}/var/db/plexdata/Plex Media Server/.

However, under db, I do not have a plexdata folder. I also do not have one under /usr/local.

I do, however, have a Plex Media Server folder directly under the root (/mnt/FreeNASPool1/iocage/jails/plex-plexpass/root/Plex Media Server). Is this the folder I'm looking for? Does anyone know if this is it? Seems the documentation needs to be updated?

Spiceman

Dabbler
@Spiceman - that is precisely why I'm confused. The Plex site says that for Freenas the location is

However, under db, I do not have a plexdata folder. I also do not have one under /usr/local.

I do, however, have a Plex Media Server folder directly under the root (/mnt/FreeNASPool1/iocage/jails/plex-plexpass/root/Plex Media Server). Is this the folder I'm looking for? Does anyone know if this is it? Seems the documentation needs to be updated?

Sorry that didn’t help you out.

You can check this thread as it has some good info that may help. Access Plex Database and Backup
or this link: Backup and Restore Plex Data

I am away from my server out of town on business, so I can’t look to see where my data is located. I don’t use the plugin for Plex, but have mine in a manually setup jail. Not sure if the data location is different for a plugin vs a manual install, but I will check mine anyhow. Unfortunately, I won’t return until Saturday. Perhaps someone else can get you more info before then.

chravis

Contributor
Thanks again @Spiceman.

What I'm doing for now, even though I'm not sure it will cover everything I want, is I created a new dataset. Then I mounted the dataset to this folder in the jail:
Code:
/mnt/FreeNASPool1/iocage/jails/plex-plexpass/root/Plex Media Server/Metadata

I guess I won't really know if what I'm trying to do works until I make some changes to my plex Media, then have to do a reinstall of the Plex Plugin. Hopefully I won't have to do this anytime soon.

elorimer

Contributor

This is where mine is.

Aviatorpaal

Dabbler
Reviving this old post, since it´s still relevant. I followed the Plex guide at Plex support - migrating without success, as the database directories are different if you install manually, using pkg.

My fix, migrating from the Plex Plugin to a manual install in jail:

• Stopped the Plex Plugin jail
  • Made a new basejail from the UI, adjusted network settings according to my needs
  • Mounted my media from the TrueNAS Core web ui. Make sure to use the exact same names for the mounted directories!
  • Installed plexmediaserver via "pkg install plexmediaserver" from inside the new jail
  • Started and connected to new server, did not finish web ui tutorial.
  • Stopped the new jail from TrueNAS Core shell (iocage stop [JAILNAME]
  • Removed (rm -R) directory "Plex Media Server" from inside the new jail at /root/usr/local/plexdata/ (used iocage console [JAILNAME] for jail login, from a TrueNAS shell
  • Copied the entire "Plex Media Server" directory from the old plugin jail to /mnt/[DATASTORE]/iocage/jails/[JAILNAME]/root/usr/local/plexdata/ from using the build as root in a TrueNAS shell (not jail shell this time)
  • Started plex with "iocage start [JAILNAME]"
  • All databases, users and media intact

elorimer

Contributor
Isn't using the @danb35 script easier?

jameselmer

Dabbler
Thanks again @Spiceman.

What I'm doing for now, even though I'm not sure it will cover everything I want, is I created a new dataset. Then I mounted the dataset to this folder in the jail:
Code:
/mnt/FreeNASPool1/iocage/jails/plex-plexpass/root/Plex Media Server/Metadata

I guess I won't really know if what I'm trying to do works until I make some changes to my plex Media, then have to do a reinstall of the Plex Plugin. Hopefully I won't have to do this anytime soon.
What was your final conclusion to this? Having a similar issue

chravis

Contributor
What was your final conclusion to this? Having a similar issue
Apparently since the time of these posts I've changed how I do things with Plex. I can't remember what all happened but I recall ending up using my own script to install Plex because I kept having problems and having to re-do the whole setup. As far as my current mount points, this is what I have. This seems to be working fine.

1680889688931.png