SOLVED Unable to write to CIFS share after upgrading

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdoten

Dabbler
I recently upgraded to 9.3.1 and everything appears to have been imported correctly, however I am unable to write to the share. I can view and open all files but cannot write. I tried on two different clients so it doesn't appear to be related to a particular workstation. It seemed to be a permission issue in my mind so I checked the permissions for the guest account (I use guest access without authentication since this is just a small server in my home). There was only one box unchecked under home directory mode. If I check this and then save it appears that the save doesn't stick. Not sure if this is the actual issue or not, because the share isn't my home directory, but all of the other settings for the user, the share and CIFS appear to be OK. I have attached some screenshots, in case there is a setting I have overlooked. I haven't altered any other settings
. share-1.JPG share-2.JPG share-1.JPG share-2.JPG share-3.JPG

pdoten

Dabbler
I wanted to add a screenshot of the permissions for the dataset. Looks like I missed that (haven't changed anything)

Attachments

• permissions.JPG
    permissions.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 214

m0nkey_

MVP
Probably not best practice to share the root of the pool. Ideally, you should create a new dataset setting the type to 'Windows' and giving your user full read/write access that way.

pdoten

Dabbler
Change the "Owner (User)" on your dataset to "nobody" and try it again.
Tried that, didn't improve the situation. Also tried changing both the owner(user) and owner(group) to "nobody". That did not do it either

pdoten

Dabbler
Probably not best practice to share the root of the pool. Ideally, you should create a new dataset setting the type to 'Windows' and giving your user full read/write access that way.
From a security standpoint? This is just a home system and I am the only user on it. Or are there other consequences I am unaware of?

Furthermore, and pardon my relative ignorance but wouldn't creating a new dataset require me to migrate all of my data over there anyway?

Last edited:

m0nkey_

MVP
Not just security, but other applications you may install on top of FreeNAS, such as jails, or perhaps zvol's for block storage.

gpsguy

For background information the OP didn't do the slow upgrade with several intermediate steps, but upgraded directly from 8.3.1 to 9.3.1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pdoten

Dabbler
For background information the OP didn't do the slow upgrade with several intermediate steps, but upgraded directly from 8.3.1 to 9.3.1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is correct. Although I did do a fresh install to a new drive and imported the config, FWIW

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
That is correct. Although I did do a fresh install to a new drive and imported the config, FWIW
Permissions/Share configs from the older version will not work with the 9.3x versions, there were significant changes.
Since you've made that big jump (as gpsguy stated above), you'll now have to start from step one.

pdoten

Dabbler
Permissions/Share configs from the older version will not work with the 9.3x versions, there were significant changes.
Since you've made that big jump (as gpsguy stated above), you'll now have to start from step one.
By that rationale am I better off just deleting and re-creating my shares and guest account or going through the upgrade process with all the intermediate steps? Seems to me that if the 9.3.x changes are the source that I am best off just redoing the shares and such?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
By that rationale am I better off just deleting and re-creating my shares and guest account or going through the upgrade process with all the intermediate steps? Seems to me that if the 9.3.x changes are the source that I am best off just redoing the shares and such?
Since you're already at 9.3.x I don't see the point in going backwards. Since 9.3 has come along there has been quite a few posts
(and a video) doing a good job of explaining shares/permissions. Here's one below...
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...-of-how-to-configure-share-permissions.35276/

pdoten

Dabbler
Since you're already at 9.3.x I don't see the point in going backwards. Since 9.3 has come along there has been quite a few posts
(and a video) doing a good job of explaining shares/permissions. Here's one below...
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...-of-how-to-configure-share-permissions.35276/
Well, I did that minus creating the new dataset and everything appears to be good again. I have since deleted my old user and CIFS shares since I no longer needed them. Not sure if it was the config info getting weird from the upgrade or what exactly but now that it is working again I am happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.