Unable to start AD Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmeaney1

Cadet
I've got an answer to everyone's woes...it seems the CIFS configuration plays a part in the Active Directory integration. I was having similar issues, all resolved when i went into the CIFS and changed my workgroup to the NT4 domain name (e.g. If your domain name is contoso.net, workgroup is CONTOSO)

Resolved my issues and all is good in the world!

KevinM

Contributor
Another option for those having AD issues...

I'm playing around with VMWare vcenter and exsi in VM, so due to resource issues I'm replacing my 2k8 domain controllers with 12.04 VMs running samba4. I had similar errors to those described above getting freenas to join the new domain.

What finally worked was going to Settings > General and settings the Directory Service type to LDAP and rebooting. (Just changing it and changing it back failed.) Then when I changed it back to Active Directory after the reboot I was able to successfully start the Directory Services service. I haven't tried but I suspect changing the Directory Service setting to anything but Active Directory would have had the same result.

BTW, I'm using the sernet samba4.1 ubuntu packages from http://www.enterprisesamba.com/samba and I can verify that freenas does work with them.

pcarson75

Cadet
Try using your administrator credentials. I was using ones that I created but they stopped working but as the administrator it allowed me to restart Active Directory Service on Freenas.

Status
Not open for further replies.