Unable to retrieve SMB Shares from ubuntu Mate

A_D_R

Cadet
Not sure how long this has been happening, I've recently changed the configuration of shares.
I can see all of the SMB shares from my Windows 10 and Mac devices.

From ubuntu laptop, the Freenas machine is shown on the network, but when opened, it immediately returns Failed to retrieve list of shares: device timed out. If I allow SMB1 in the Freenas service, I can then see the shares from the laptop. This shouldn't work, as samba.conf on the laptop has
Code:
min protocol = SMB2
max protocol = SMB3

If I go to smb://serverIP/Share/name I am then able to connect to the Share.

So how do I get to see all of the shares on an ubuntu machine without using the depricated SMB1?

Thanks in advance!

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
So how do I get to see all of the shares on an ubuntu machine without using the depricated SMB1?

Unfortunately, you can't. The client part of the Samba suite hasn't been updated yet to deal with the deprecation of SMB1, especially with respect to browsing for resources.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I don't believe that samba is involved in this browsing. It's probably more of a nautilus / gvfs thing. srvsvc rpc pipe should still be available over SMB3 (can be easily tested by using rpcclient to perform net_share_enum). So it's probably a trivial thing to fix for gnome.

Samuel Tai

I don't believe that samba is involved in this browsing. It's probably more of a nautilus / gvfs thing. srvsvc rpc pipe should still be available over SMB3 (can be easily tested by using rpcclient to perform net_share_enum). So it's probably a trivial thing to fix for gnome.

I tried smbtree -U <valid SMB user> as well, and got nothing with SMB1 disabled.

Code:
smbXcli_negprot_smb1_done: No compatible protocol selected by server.

Samuel Tai

rpcclient -U <valid SMB user> -c netshareenum <FreeNAS IP> does return a list of shares visible to that user, however.