SMB Negotiate Protocol Response failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

coloradoruss

Cadet
I currently have a freenas box (FreeNAS-11.1-U6) hosting SMB shares in a Windows domain. The domain controller is Win Server 2008 r1. Most of my clients can see the share, but I can not access it from the server. It fails after the SMB Negotiate Protocol Response. This issue started in September 2018 when I upgraded to FreeNAS-11.1-U6.

Well, before I even hit post, I figured out the problem. A combination of several hours of playing with Wireshark, and consulting the Oracle, Windows Server 2008 negotiates SMB 2.002. Ill go ahead and post for the benefit of the next guy...

Solution > In the Services -> SMB -> Settings -> Auxiliary parameters, add "min protocol = SMB2_02"
This allows the system to support any SMB2 version vs the default SMB2 which is 2.10

Related problem. My Xerox 4250 only speaks SMB1.

Solution > In the Services -> SMB -> Settings -> Auxiliary parameters, add "min protocol = CORE"
This allows the system to support any SMB version

My Xerox 4250 only speaks SMB1.

I ran into a similar problem with a Ricoh scanner/printer/copier recently. I knew exactly what was wrong, what needed to be done and I'm embarrassed to admit how long it took to find the exact place and exact directive to make it work in FreeNAS.

Thank you!

Cheers,
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.