SOLVED unable to ping google (but able to ping other external addresses)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJOLA

Cadet
As the title states, I'm unable to ping google (command is "ping www.google.com" entered into the freenas shell).

I've tried this in the freenas shell, plex jail shell, and from a putty session into freenas. Nothing worked. I finally try it from my desktop, and my windows 10 desktop cannot ping google. So I try yahoo. I am able to ping yahoo but I am unable to ping google.

This thread on stackexchange (second answer at the time of this writing) explains that it's a google specific thing. I'm not really sure what to make of that. Does anyone else have this issue? Can anyone explain more what's going on here?

itskando

Contributor
The gist I got from this site was that your ISP or the site itself
may block certain configurations from pinging for whatever reason.

Not all big service providers respond to pings. This is because it can be used to do a DoS/DDos attack on them. I wouldn't fret over that if you can ping other things. I use yahoo as my test since they do still respond to pings.

EJOLA

Cadet
Not all big service providers respond to pings. This is because it can be used to do a DoS/DDos attack on them. I wouldn't fret over that if you can ping other things. I use yahoo as my test since they do still respond to pings.
I spent a lot of time fretting over this and don't plan to anymore. I just formed the conclusion that since I couldn't ping google I couldn't ping anything on the internet, but now know that to not be the case. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.