Unable to mount NTFS drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

khoying

Cadet
First off, I am a newbie with limited Linux knowledge.

I am trying to setup FreeNAS on an old laptop that I had. I have installed FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE-p2-x86 (11367) on a USB drive and have the laptop set to autoboot to the USB drive. That worked great!

I have also been able to set up a new volume for a USB drive that I attached to the laptop. Works great!

The problem I am having is that I would like to import the NTFS hard drive from the laptop as a volume. However, each time I attempt to do so from the WebUI I get the following error: "An error occurred while labeling the disk."

If I attempt to mount the drive from the shell using the mount, mount_ntfs or mount_ntfs-kern command then I get the error "No such file or directory".

I am not really sure where to go from here. Any and all help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

Thanks in Advance!

ProtoSD

MVP
The most common solution for this is to run "chkdsk /r" from windows on your NTFS disk.

khoying

Cadet
Thank you! Running check disk allowed me to add the volume. That got me further. However, now I am unable to create the share. It does not show up in the browse list and it does nto work if I enter it manually either. Any ideas?

Thank you!

ProtoSD

MVP
I might be wrong, but I'm pretty certain importing NTFS is only to allow you to copy the contents of the disk to a native volume on your NAS ie. UFS or ZFS, not for sharing directly from NTFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.