SOLVED Unable to install Scale 22.12.3.3: Could not prepare Boot variable: no space left on device ( solution )

First time trying to get TrueNAS scale (22.12.3.3) in a new server....
SSD size is 120GB - System is a DELL PowerEdge T420
  • First, tried with iDRAC virtual media, then started getting errors.... ( screenshots below )
  • Then, tried with USB Stick... same results...
  • Then tried with only bootdisk installed... same results...
  • Tried without creating a swap partition... same results...
  • Then I began messing with wipefs... You should run wipefs -a /dev/sdX until no output is visible just to be sure...
But, what solved the problem was adding this option to the installer boot option: efi_no_storage_paranoia

I don't believe this is a TrueNAS Scale bug, but an upstream(Debian) one...

Just wanted to register this post to help others in the same situation...

BTW: If anyone has another solution to this, I could try it with another bootdisk.

Error:
Screenshot from 2023-08-22 15-14-53.png

And... after the fix, online it is :grin:

Screenshot from 2023-08-22 17-02-09.png

Monoxide7499

Cadet
Hi there, long time reader and this is my first post!
I actually just experienced this issue during an upgrade (from the same ISO) and it rendered my Truenas unbootable afterwards! I had to reinstall core and upload my configuration because it would give me the same message when doing a "fresh install" as well. I looked at the link that you provided but Im confused as to what exactly you did to resolve this specifically for the TN install.
When you say you added it the efi_no_storage_paranoia to boot option, does that mean you edited the /etc/default/grub on the boot disk? Or are you running the install with this as a variable, if so, how do you tell the installer to take the command?
When i try to boot after failed install, it just gives an error about the kernel that i didn't take note of.

Thank you so much, any help is appreciated