Unable to create Pool

KentShades

FreeNAS Certified Owner
  • [MiddlewareError: Unable to create the pool: cannot create 'Storage': one or more vdevs refer to the same device, ]

This is a brand new 30 drive raidz2 setup. Tried in the new interface and the old one. Just sits and says "Please Wait" then I get that error.

Running latest 11.2-U4.1 - Not sure why this is happening. Brand new hardware, and brand new disks.

Attached the debug as well.

Edit: Created a smaller pool with it being 3X4 and it worked. Took some time but it worked.

Attachments

• debug-nas07-20190611105018.tgz
    257 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:

KentShades

FreeNAS Certified Owner
Basically I think I need a command that wipes all the disks and starts 100% fresh. I think the first failed creating of a pool messed it up and keeps messing up because of it.

jro

iXsystems
iXsystems
In the legacy UI, go to the Storage tab, click the "View Disks" button on the top of the screen, select each disk, and click "Wipe" at the bottom of the screen. That should remove any lingering partition tables on them.

KentShades

FreeNAS Certified Owner
OK, so now is the issue of this: I'm missing drives there. But when I do a camcontrol devlist, I see all the drives. Tried a reboot and then it changed the drives that are missing. However I go to create a new Pool it shows all the DA's. Attached screenshots of before reboot View Disks and after reboot, and the volume manager.

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    10.9 KB · Views: 421
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    15.4 KB · Views: 446
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    16.7 KB · Views: 421

KentShades

FreeNAS Certified Owner
I've tried to create this manually 10 disks at a time. (30 in total) and now I'm getting a trace.

Environment:

Software Version: FreeNAS-11.2-U4.1 (e33ce960b8)
Request Method: POST
Request URL: http://10.1.11.28/legacy/storage/volumemanager-zfs/

Traceback:
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/exception.py" in inner
42. response = get_response(request)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _legacy_get_response
249. response = self._get_response(request)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _get_response
178. response = middleware_method(request, callback, callback_args, callback_kwargs)
File "./freenasUI/freeadmin/middleware.py" in process_view
163. return login_required(view_func)(request, *view_args, **view_kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/decorators.py" in _wrapped_view
23. return view_func(request, *args, **kwargs)
File "./freenasUI/storage/views.py" in volumemanager_zfs
273. form.done(request, events)
File "./freenasUI/storage/forms.py" in done
746. c.call("alert.unblock_source", lock)
File "./freenasUI/storage/forms.py" in done
734. notifier().create_volume(volume, groups=grouped, init_rand=init_rand)
File "./freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py" in create_volume
786. raise MiddlewareError('Unable to create the pool: %s' % error)

Exception Type: MiddlewareError at /legacy/storage/volumemanager-zfs/
Exception Value: [MiddlewareError: Unable to create the pool: cannot create 'Testing_Again': one or more vdevs refer to the same device, ]

Snow

Patron
What are your system specs?

jro

iXsystems
iXsystems
I believe we've got things working, but I'll let @KentShades confirm. There seemed to be a weird multipath glitch that made the system see all the drives twice. FreeNAS and ZFS were freaking out that the pool had multiple disks with the same GUID. I believe reseating the drives and power cycling the system ended up clearing out the errors.

Snow

Patron
Ok Cool

KentShades

FreeNAS Certified Owner
So basically the fix was to re seat the drives into the unit and then it saw them correctly. Hopefully not a backplane issue I'll be dealing with later on. Everything seems good now though.